An unruly female passenger had to be duct-taped to the seat after she tried to open the plane door during an American Airlines flight. In a video posted to TikTok by user @lol.ariee, a woman with gray hair can be seen with the tape over her mouth, arms, and body on flight 1774 from Fort Worth, Texas to Charlotte, North Carolina on July 6. According to reports, she attacked flight crew and tried to open the door mid-flight.
- The flight had gotten off to a bad start. It was due to take off from Forth Worth around 9 p.m. but didn’t actually get off the ground until after midnight, @lol.ariee explained in subsequent videos. However, things were about to get a whole lot worse.
- Roughly 90 minutes into the flight, all hell broke loose. At around 1:30 a.m. flight crew turned on the lights in the plane and the attendants began running up and down the aisles frantically, locking bathrooms, grabbing bags from the overhead bins, and generally freaking out without telling other passengers what was happening. “It was just kind of like chaos and no one knows what’s going on,” @lol.ariee said.
- Eventually, the pilot instructed passengers to stay in their seats. He referenced “a bad situation in the plane right now,” she recalled. “Then we’re gradually starting to hear more and more screaming, and we’re like, ‘Wait a minute,'” @lol.ariee said.
- It wasn’t immediately clear what had happened. However, just before the plane was about to land, a flight attendant said that a female passenger with mental health issues “had an outburst and like, had the urge to get off the plane. And she was saying, ‘I need to get off this plane,’ and she went up to the exits and started banging on the doors, saying, ‘You need to let me off this plane!'” How scary is that?
- It took all five flight attendants to subdue her. As TMZ reported, it was an all-out war to get the passenger under control. “They pretty much took her own, put her in the seat and duct-taped her,” @lol.ariee added. American Airlines later confirmed the incident and said that the passenger had been restrained to keep other passengers and crew members safe.
- The passenger was taken to a local hospital. It’s clear she had a mental health emergency, so hopefully she got the help she needed.