You might check your phone during a business meeting or when you’re driving even though you know it’s risky, but a recent study from the University of Virginia found that 1 in 10 people check their phones during sex. Yes, they’ll fiddle with their phones while they’re in the middle of intercourse. WTF? If it’s happened to you, here’s what could be going on:
- Your partner is showing signs of ADHD. The study also found that when the participants’ phones were set to ring or vibrate, they displayed ADHD symptoms, which includes hyperactivity and inability to focus — even if they didn’t actually have the disorder. Time to ban phones from the bedroom.
- He’s bored. Okay, one would think that this rings true. If the sex is really amazing, why would someone want to do anything else in that moment? But surely then he should just end the session like a decent person instead of reaching for his phone?!
- He’s a narcissist. Your partner just can’t help but get his social media fix hundreds of times a day so he’ll check his phone every time it beeps in case someone has posted a new comment on his latest Facebook selfie. He just can’t resist the temptation to know who is craving his attention. Talk about killing the mood. What a narcissistic jerk!
- It could be an emergency. Before you roll your eyes at this one, consider that he’s waiting for a really crucial call. Maybe a family member is in the hospital or something. If he’s decent, he’ll at least let you know he might have to take the call before you jump into bed together.
- He thinks he’s too cool for his own good. He’s the guy who thinks he can multitask like a boss. So he’ll get you into a sexual position that enables him to keep an eye on his phone while satisfying you. Legendary? No, he’s a tool.
- He’s a phubber. He checks his phone all the time — when he’s out with mates at the pub, when you’re having dinner with him at a restaurant, and so on. Since he’s so used to ignoring you and others to get busy on his phone, it’s really not a big stretch for him to do so during other, more private activities, such as sex. He’s so attached to that bloody phone of his that he doesn’t even realize how dodgy his behavior is.
- He’s all over the show. He’s the kind of person who has sex while thinking what he has to do at the office and that he really needs to head to the dentist for a filling soon… The result is that his lack of focus makes it easy for him to get distracted, such as by a ringing phone. He’s stretching himself in so many directions that he can’t give 100 percent of his time to any activity — even sex. No wonder he’s so crappy in the sack.
- He’s checked out of the relationship. One of the signs your partner might be over your relationship is if he’s always looking distracted, giving you one-word answers to questions, or just not looking very interested in spending time with you. Another sign could very well be checking his smartphone during sex. I mean, come on. This is the most intimate moment two people can share and he’s more interested in getting the latest football scores? Screw that!
- He’s got a naughty idea. During a steamy session, he reaches for his phone because he wants to take a sexy pic of the two of you or he wants to start rolling his camera. It might still not be cool with you for him to reach for his phone to do this, but it’s better than if he’s responding to a mate’s text, no?