While not everyone is a fan of emojis, pretty much all of us use them when texting our friends, partners, and even potential dates. Some people might consider this a turn-off, but according to a new study, using emojis leads to having more sex and going on more dates. Go figure!
- The study was performed by The Kinsey Institute. They surveyed 5,000 participants as part of their annual Singles in America paper and also followed up the data they gathered from that with another smaller study of 275 adults. What they discovered was interesting but perhaps not all that surprising…
- Emoji users are more successful at love. According to the results of the two studies, those who self-reported as being emoji users tended to have way more second dates, more kisses at the end of their dates, and more sex. Not bad, eh?
- It all comes down to communication. According to the study’s authors, “Modern relationship-seekers must master faster and shorter methods of communicating self-disclosure and affect. We find that the use of emojis allows daters to communicate important affective information to potential partners which facilitates successful intimate connection and more romantic and sexual opportunities.” That makes perfect sense!
- Non-emoji users are seriously missing out. Of those who took part in the Kinsey Institute’s study, 38% claimed that they never use emojis. That number is shockingly high and I have a feeling it’s not entirely honest (or more people are boring than I immediately assumed). An average 29% of people said they only use emojis occasionally but 28% said they use them all the time. It was that latter group that tended to fare the best in relationships.
- Bottom line: no one’s too good for emojis. Emojis are fun and lighthearted and show the person you’re talking to that you don’t take yourself too seriously. No one is too good or too “mature” not to use emojis and if you think you are, you need to lighten up a bit. You never know, it might just help you out a bit when it comes to your dating life.