I’ll be real with you: I’m a Diet Coke girl. You will have to pry the bitter fizz of it from my cold dead hands. I don’t like sweet sodas, and I don’t need my diet drinks to taste like “the real thing,” so Pepsi has never really stood out to me. However, I admit that I’m somewhat intrigued by the new Pepsi Cafe drinks which contain double the caffeine content.
- I do love coffee… I drink several cups a day and in addition to the caffeine factor, I do genuinely enjoy the taste. Coffee-flavored things are great in my book – chocolate, ice cream, etc. Mixing it with cola, Pepsi in this case, sounds like a natural fit.
- These cans have a ton of caffeine. While these aren’t quite energy drinks, they just might function that way for many of us. Pepsi revealed that the 12 oz. cans of Pepsi Café will have double the amount of caffeine of the same size can of their soda alone.
- Pepsi Café will be available in two flavors. There’s Original, which is basically just Pepsi and coffee straight up, and Vanilla, which is slightly more subdued and resembles more of a latte flavor.
- The drink will be available next year. Pepsi says Café will hit shelves in April 2020, so while it’s still a few months away, we have a bit of time to start getting excited about it. Thrillist in particular gave both flavors pretty solid reviews, writing, “Both the straight-up soda and vanilla version are refreshing, crisp, and offering a pleasing balance of soda and coffee flavors.”
- What took Pepsi so long to create Café? According to a statement by VP of Marketing Todd Kaplan, “We know that the consumers today are looking for products that meet the needs of energy, indulgence, and refreshment during that afternoon pick-me-up occasion. At Pepsi, we’ve known the potential of blending cola and coffee for years and after striking the perfect balance, we cannot wait to introduce Pepsi Café to the US next year.”
- Will it win over iced coffee drinkers? Kaplan thinks so! “We are confident that cola fans, iced coffee drinkers and anyone in need of an extra caffeine boost will love the unexpected flavor medley of roasted coffee infused into the refreshing, crisp flavor of Pepsi.” We’ll see about that!