A new hangover pill that prevents you from feeling like crap the morning after a night of heavy drinking has officially gone on sale in the UK. The “ground-breaking” remedy, sold under the brand name Myrkl, claims to “rapidly break down alcohol” so that you don’t wake up with nausea and a major headache.
What you should know about the hangover pill
- Myrkl believes it’s the first capsule of its kind. The pre-drinking supplement markets itself as “the first product in history to break down alcohol effectively.” It’s also 100% natural and vegan, which is a good thing if that matters to you.
- You can buy these bad boys in packs of 30. If you’re someone who drinks so much that you need a hangover pill in the first place, you might be glad to know that Myrkl can be bought in packs of 30 for £30 ($36). That works out to only £1 ($1.20) each, which seems pretty reasonable.
- So how does it work? We get that a hangover pill works to prevent hangovers, but how, exactly? Apparently, you just take two pills at least an hour before hitting the booze (though anytime up to 12 hours before drinking works). Once you start consuming alcohol, Myrkl breaks down nearly 70% of it in about an hour. It also contains a hit of B12 to boost your energy levels and immune system.
- The hangover pill has actually been around for a while. While Myrkl is the first product of its kind on the mass market, the hangover pill was actually invented by scientist Johan de Faire back in 1990. It’s just that it’s now been “perfect [with] over 30 years of research and design.”
- While the pill is helpful, it’s not a free pass to get wasted all the time. The Myrkl website states: “MYRKL helps break down alcohol fast before it reaches the liver, it is not suited and aimed to alleviate the impact of excessive alcohol consumption. MYRKL must never be an excuse to drink more alcohol and you should always limit your alcohol consumption within the government guidelines.”