Having amazing guys in your life, whether it be as a romantic interest or just a great friendship is awesome. They’re a lot of fun, and it’s nice to have their different perspectives and ideas — but they can also be downright annoying, especially when they do these things:
- Expect you to be ready in to go out in five minutes. Sorry, not going to happen. We aren’t high maintenance, we just have more to do to get ready than them — shower, hair, makeup, cute outfit… If a guy wants me to look presentable when we’re going somewhere, he needs to give me more than a five-minute warning to get ready.
- Flaunt another girl around you. Even if you aren’t interested in the guy, it never feels good having them drool over another girl in front of you. Even girl-guy friendships have jealousy in them. Guys should know by now that if they don’t want a girl to go crazy, keep the flirting, flaunting and staring at other women to a minimum.
- Fail to compliment you when they should. If I normally wear sweats with my hair in a messy bun on the top of my head, rocking last night’s makeup, a guy should know that I deserve a compliment when I actually decide to try to look presentable for once. It seems to just slip their minds — or they notice you look hot AF for once, but they keep it to themselves. Come on, guys — a little compliment never hurt anyone.
- Forget to text to see if you made it home okay. It’s sweet and shows that they care. I hate when a guy doesn’t check to see if I made it home safe. A simple text is not that hard to type out and send. Even a simple “text me when you’re home” will work.
- Show you pictures of half naked models on Instagram. This is definitely a way to make a girl feel like crap. Showing us unrealistic pictures of women we could never be will just make us mad, feel bad about ourselves and probably give the guy attitude for the rest of the day. “What to go get some food?” “Not if you want me to look like that stupid model.” It’s just not a good idea.
- Call you “bro,” “dude,” or any other stupid name. I get it. If you’re friends with a guy, one of those names is probably going to slip out of his mouth at some point. But it would be nice if they could keep it to a minimum. No girl wants to be “one of the guys” because it takes away part of their identity. We still want to feel somewhat feminine and desirable.
- Get drunk and try to climb out of the friend zone. Guys are notorious for this. They have some drinks, build up that liquid courage and come on strong. This is a perfect way to ruin a great friendship, but when they’re drunk, that somehow that slips their mind. Worst of all, they get mad at you for denying them, and then once they’re sober they deny that it even happened. Note to all guys: when you’re drunk and acting like an ass, you definitely aren’t getting out of the friend zone.
- Criticize any guy you like because they’re jealous. Whether they like to admit it or not, all guys are jealous of their female friends’ love interests. Somehow they can tell the guy is ugly, stupid and a piece of crap just by you saying his name. Yes, it’s vaguely enduring because they probably care about you or wish they could have you themselves, but it’s also annoying. Just because it isn’t them doesn’t mean they need to hate him right off the bat. Now if he starts treating you like crap, that’s a different story — we love when our guys step up and defend us.