As young girls, we’re often taught that one day, Prince Charming will come along and whisk us off our feet, rescuing us from our miserable lives and turning us into real life princesses. Boring. Not only do fairy tales not exist in real life, but when you finally meet Mr. Right, he’ll be way better than Prince Charming ever could be.
- He’s real. There are no fairies, goblins, or wicked witches in this tale. The best thing about a real life man is that fact that he is actually real. Fairy tales are fiction, but your romance is reality.
- He’s not saving a damsel in distress. You’re an independent woman with adventures of your own, and isn’t that so much better? You don’t need to be saved — you can protect yourself. You’re the heroine in this tale, not some weak woman incapable of taking control of her own life.
- He knows how to let loose. Who wants to be on their best behavior 24/7? Your boyfriend walks around in his underwear, loves a cold beer, and spends Sundays bumming around on the couch. He’s nothing but himself and allows you to just be you.
- He falls in love with you, not your appearance. Fairy tales are full of love at first sight, but in reality, you fall in love with someone for their personality, flaws and all. Your love is real and based on a mutual respect and adoration rather than a meaningless and superficial attraction.
- He’s not just charming — he’s sincere. The love of your life doesn’t need to butter you up with endless over-the-top compliments. He sees the true beauty in you, not a line made up to make you swoon. Not only is his adoration sincere, it’s more than skin deep. He’s charmed by your mind, not just your body.
- He has a personality. In the movies, Prince Charming was kind of a blank slate. Sure, he was obviously described as handsome and charming, but what else? When you meet that special someone in real life, he’s better than you could ever have imagined.
- He’s down to earth. Your real life man sees reality, not fantasy. He isn’t living life looking through rose-colored glasses. His life is real. Having everything handed to you on a silver platter might sound nice, but it also sounds a little too easy. A man that knows how to work for what he wants will know how to put effort into your relationship.
- He takes his time. The fact that Prince Charming proposed marriage after only a few days and without actually knowing his partner is terrifying, not romantic. Finding the right guy takes time and so does falling in love with him, so what’s the rush? That time is irreplaceable and I wouldn’t rush it along for anything.