It would be awesome if you met your true love ASAP and didn’t have to go through the pain and frustration of dating, but life isn’t a fairy tale and not everyone is so lucky right away. If you’re crazy annoyed with going on endless dates, you’re right to feel that way, but there’s no reason to freak out so much. Here’s what you should tell yourself when you just can’t even with dating:
- It’s not the end of the world. When you really want to find love and all you’re finding are losers, it’s easy to feel sorry for yourself. But really, this is not the end of the world. When you do meet The One, you won’t believe how much time you wasted on self-pity and complaining, so you might as well quit whining right now.
- You can walk out on dates. It’s been an hour and the guy is a total jerk who won’t stop insulting everyone around? Or you’re insanely bored, which sometimes feels even worse? Tell your date you have to work and make a graceful exit. You can do whatever you want, and once you realize that, it’s super liberating and you can handle any dating situation that comes your way.
- You’re totally normal. Remember this: dating blows for everyone. Your feelings and thoughts are totally normal and validated. So why give up when this is just the way it is? Just accept how much it can suck sometimes and keep moving forward.
- It’ll be worth it. The prize at the end of a bunch of crappy dates? An amazing guy and total bliss. Doesn’t sound so bad, does it? Every time you go on what you’re convinced is the worst date of your entire life, just remember that one day you’ll go on a date and it will be amazing.
- You’re in control. You’re not a slave to dating, so don’t act like it. You control everything about this part of your life. Don’t feel like meeting anyone new for a few weeks? Focus on other stuff instead.
- You might just have fun. When you leave your apartment thinking that tonight will suck, it probably will. If you try to enjoy yourself on your first dates, you just might. Hey, crazier things have happened.
- You’re building character. This is one of those times in your life when you have to believe in yourself and get through the tough times. You’re building character and if nothing else, saving up a bunch of hilarious/horrifying stories that will entertain you and your friends for years to come. See, everything has a bright side, even dating.
- You can’t skip dating. It would be awesome if you met a cool guy and were in an instant relationship, but if you’ve ever moved way too fast (which we all have), then you know that’s a horrible idea. Going on dates is the only way to get who you want so give in already.