No two relationships are exactly the same. There are always going to be idiosyncracies and particulars between a couple that are unique to them, and that’s fine. However, there are some relationship hacks that all successful couples know and use regularly to ensure their bond remains strong and unbreakable. Here are some you should keep in mind and try to employ with your partner.
- Go to bed angry sometimes. The general advice you always hear is not to go to bed angry, but that’s ridiculous. Sometimes fights are illogical and not really about anything serious so they’ll blow over on their own after a night of rest. Other times, there is a more serious issue but you haven’t had time to work it out in your heads yet, so how will talking about it right now solve it? This is one of the most important relationship hacks because it reminds you that a) your relationship isn’t going to fall apart if you don’t confront an issue this very second and b) time really is a gift that will bring a lot of clarity and often dissipate your anger or frustration.
- Make time for romance. This is another one you’ve probably heard often, but do you actually do it? Yes, the intense passion and the desire to rip each other’s clothes off will likely fade after the honeymoon period passes and real life takes over, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be taking time for date nights and romantic getaways that allow you to connect as a couple. That includes making time for sex but certainly isn’t limited to the bedroom. Romance each other and remind yourselves and each other why you fell in love to begin with.
- Don’t let little things fester and become big things. The longer you’re with someone, the more likely it is that you’ll end up frustrated and annoyed over little things. This is why one of the most vital relationship hacks is to avoid letting the little things become big ones by talking about them or letting them go. If you’re pissed off that he always leaves his clothes on the floor just in front of the washing basket rather than inside it, tell him that you’re frustrated (don’t scream at him about it) and ask him to correct the issue. You might be surprised at how quickly and easily things improve.
- Learn how to laugh at yourselves and each other. Life is pretty crappy sometimes so you have to be able to laugh at yourselves and each other. Not only will this help you deal with the tough times but it’ll also dissipate tension and sadness and help relieve stress. Successful couples know that a relationship without laughter is a dull and miserable one, so keep those belly laughs coming!
- Work as a team, not competitors. You’re not trying to one-up each other as partners or people. You’re supposed to be a team, so make sure you act like one. Do whatever you can to uplift and inspire each other and help make each other’s lives easier, less stressful, and better all-around. This is so important!