If you love pickles, you probably already know that they make a great accompaniment to pretty much any kind of sandwich, from cheeseburgers to hoagies/subs and everything in between. But what if you wanted to make the savory snack the star of the show instead of just a supporting role? Elsie’s in New Jersey is doing just that with their pickle sandwiches that drops the bread altogether.
- Elsie’s is the official home of the pickle sandwich. Plenty of sandwich spots will offer you the chance to put a few slices on, but Elsie’s is the place that uses pickles instead of bread for every single sandwich on their menu. In other words, they’re serious about pickles.
- It’s carb-free, which is a plus. If you’re someone who follows a low-carb diet, you’ll probably be stoked to know that pickles are pretty much carb-free and are a great option to throw your favorite fillings between. There are plenty of lunchmeats and other condiments to choose from, so the sky is the limit when creating your lunch. “You have a choice of meats and cheeses as well as toppings, including Sriracha mayo and spicy wasabi mayo,” they say on their FB page. Sweet!
- They even do roll-ups! If a proper sandwich made of pickles isn’t your bag or you simply want to switch things up, you can get roll-ups made of thin slices of the vinegared cucumber for a little something different.
- The pickles use an old family recipe. According to Elsie’s co-owner Katherine Cohen, the pickle sandwiches are the star of the establishment because they use a family recipe to ensure the utmost deliciousness in their creations.
- The next time you’re in New Jersey, stop by Elsie’s! The shop is located in Haddon Township, NJ, which isn’t all that far from Philadelphia, if you fancy taking a nice drive. According to the many satisfied customer reviews on Elsie’s Facebook page, it will be well worth it.