Sex is the great Pandora’s box of life. When we’re young, it’s enticing and forbidden so we have to have it. Once opened, the box can’t be shut again and sex is a part of our lives forever. Fortunately, sex is like fine wine; it just gets better over time.
- We feel so much more comfortable with our bodies. Becoming body positive is a wonderful thing, and it rarely happens in our youth. We tend to accept ourselves more as we age, which means that we spend less time critiquing how we look naked and more time just enjoying the action.
- We know what we like and how to ask for it. When we’re young and just starting out, sex itself is an experiment; it’s a new magical world we’ve only dreamed about. Unfortunately, the reality is that not everything is enjoyable so we end up having some bad sex in our 20s. By the time we reach our 30s, we’ve figured out what we like and how to get it, which means we’re actually satisfied.
- We know what we want out of a sexual encounter. We may be dating someone seriously or we may be having some casual fun; either way, we typically go into a sexual encounter knowing what we want and expect out of it, which helps us manage our expectations. We spent too much time in our younger days crying over guys who seemed serious but weren’t; now, we prefer to figure that out in advance and proceed with caution.
- We’re more skilled, which makes it easy and fun to please our partners. Sex is like riding a bike; the first time we try it, we usually suck at it. Skill is gained with experience, and it also makes sex so much more fun. By the time we get to our 30s, we’ve worked out the awkward kinks and perfected the fun ones, making the entire experience more enjoyable.
- We become more adventurous. In our younger years, the act of having sex was taboo in itself, and that made it exciting. As we get older and sex is no longer forbidden, we miss the excitement and naturally seek out more of a thrill in the bedroom. While we don’t enjoy every new thing we try, we learn quickly what is enjoyable and add those adventures to our repertoire, making our future sex that much more amazing.
- We’re more open to long-term romance, which means amazing sex. It’s hard to admit sometimes when we’re younger, but sex with a long-term romantic partner is usually better than sex with a random hookup. Long-term relationships can be scary, but the benefits are undeniable, especially in the bedroom. When you know and love someone, sex becomes exponentially better.
- We know what we’re missing when we’re not getting it. It’s funny how we have no idea what we’re missing until we experience it. When we’re younger, we have no idea how good sex can be. After we find out what’s possible, we always have those incredible experiences in the back of our minds, ready to make it happen when a solid opportunity presents itself.
- We’re more connected with ourselves and others. The most magical thing about sex is the connection we unlock with our true selves as well as others. Once we get past the awkwardness of youth, we feel that connection so much more deeply, which makes sex exponentially better. Enjoy this revelation; it’s worth exploring.