It’s probably one of the most frequently googled questions of all time: “How do I know if a guy likes me?” You can imagine the reason why: no one has a definitive answer. Love and relationships are the most difficult things to predict and anticipate because everyone is different. What I do know is a few hints and tells that guys have when they are interested in you. Regardless of what you’ve been telling yourself, here are some signs a guy cares about you more than you think.
- He sends you memes constantly. As long as he doesn’t send them so frequently that it borders on sibling-annoyance, meme-sending is a great sign for the relationship. First of all, it means that he’s interested in you and that you’re on his mind. Every time he sends you something it’s because he saw it and thought of you. Doesn’t that just make your heart squeeze? It’s a simple gesture and it costs him nothing, but it’s so important. You feel loved, he puts the effort in, and you get a funny meme out of it. You can learn about his personality, what makes him tick, and still prove to your entire Facebook feed that you have one of the good ones. Win-win!
- He talks about you to his friends. I know most guys are pretty private – a kind way of saying emotionally repressed – but anytime that he makes room for you in his life, grab hold of it. Appreciate that he’s taking a leap to integrate you into his life. Love doesn’t happen on its own, you have to make room – and by boasting about you to his friends, he’s doing just that. He wants all the people who are important to him to get along – he’s proud of you! There’s nothing worse than being with someone who is embarrassed by you or their feelings for you.
- He asks to meet your parents. Not only is he putting himself on the line, but he’s playing his cards out in the open. For him, if he wants to meet your parents, he cares. The relationship isn’t a game to be won or a trick. He’s in it for the long haul. Meeting your mother is a commitment to the future because you know full well that they don’t forget a name. He knows that and he wants to be in your future.
- He plans romantic evenings. The bar is on the floor with date night in COVID times, I know. But if he puts the effort in to book a restaurant or plan a picnic or evening hike, you will notice that. Netflix and chill is for teenagers. By planning sophisticated dates he shows his commitment to you. But, it doesn’t have to be just about money, either. Maybe a crafts night or homemade meal would do the trick too. It’s all about proving that he knows you rather than performing what any generic romcom would do.
- He isn’t obsessed with sex. Yes, the physical side of things is important, but it’s not the only thing in a relationship. You never want to feel like you’re being used for your body, or that it’s only being driven by hormones. We want to be reassured that the guy is with us for us, not just sex. If your guy really cares about you, he’ll snuggle and read to you in bed and make it a safe space. He’ll invite you to his hobbies and spend your daytimes together and strengthen that bond rather than exclude you to the dark corners of the room at night. So many guys just don’t care about your feelings.
- He’s honest with you. Great communication is key in any relationship in any era. If you have a space where you can express your needs and be heard, and do the same in return, you’re golden. You will be able to work through so much with those skills. All the minor roadblocks that throw weaker relationships into the rocks can be overcome with honest, vulnerable conversations. Putting time aside, valuing each other’s time and opinions. You don’t have to be a carbon copy of each other. In fact, differences are important in a relationship, but being able to negotiate, compromise, and grow together is the most beautiful thing of all. Trust me.
If your guy is racking up ticks on this checklist, you’re one of the lucky ones. He’s in this for the long haul, and by the sounds of things, not only does he like you more than you think, but he’s head over heels.