This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think everyone has the right to a couple of secrets, even from their partner. That being said, this shouldn’t become a habit and you shouldn’t be hiding anything major. The good news for you ladies is that we guys are notoriously bad at keeping things a secret. If you think your boyfriend might be hiding things from you, here are some signs you may be right.
- He stops communicating. A guy can’t let his secret slip if he doesn’t talk to you, right? In fairness, there are a lot of reasons why your boyfriend might stop communicating with you. But there is no doubt a reason if he suddenly goes quiet or becomes distant. It might not be as bad as you think, although it’s a safe bet that he’s keeping something from you.
- He wants to know “why.” Something is up if your boyfriend keeps asking why you want to know about a particular topic. This is a good way of figuring out what he can tell you that will appease you without actually letting his secret out. It can also be a good way to change the topic. Whenever a person is trying to avoid a topic altogether, they usually have something to hide.
- He shares a lot of details. Unless your boyfriend is a phenomenal storyteller or a detail-oriented person, something is usually amiss when he starts sharing a lot of details. This is a classic case of distraction and overcompensating. By throwing a lot of details at you, he thinks you’ll forget some things or won’t know to pick up on the important stuff. It’s also his way of making it seem like he’s being open and forthcoming with you. if this kind of behavior is unusual, it might be masking a secret.
- His answers are short. On the other end of the spectrum, some guys with a secret will try to say as little as possible. This often goes hand-in-hand with not communicating at all. Of course, in a healthy relationship, there’s no need to be brief with the other person. There’s nothing wrong with an extra detail or two unless doing so will give something away.
- He answers a question with a question. If it matters, some guys will do this just to be annoying. At least that’s what I do sometimes. But it can also be a good way of getting out of a question that might force you to reveal something secretive. If a guy is desperate to avoid a conversation going down a certain path, he will answer a question with another question. It’s not exactly sly or subtle, but it’s something men will try nonetheless.
- There’s a chance in his voice. Okay, this is more of the advanced course of catching a liar. It’s common for a person’s voice to change if they’re lying or trying to hide something. It might be subtle, but if you know your boyfriend well enough, you should be able to spot it. There’s actual science that suggests a person’s throat becomes dry when they’re hiding a secret, causing a slight change in their voice. If your boyfriend’s voice is a little higher or noticeably flustered, it’s one indication that he has a secret he doesn’t want you to know.
- He seems restless. To be fair, this one’s open to interpretation. A lot of things could be making a guy restless. That being said, if you have a good relationship, your boyfriend should be calm and comfortable around you, right? If he’s suddenly restless or antsy around you, something is up. Remember, it might not be as bad as you think, but there’s probably a reason for his awkward behavior.
- He plays phone games. If a guy has a secret, there’s probably evidence of it on his phone. It might be a text or an email or something on his calendar he doesn’t want you to see. Whatever it might be, he wants to keep it hidden, which means keeping you away from his phone. If he’s unusually protective of his phone or doesn’t want you looking over his shoulder when he’s using it, there’s probably something he doesn’t want you to know.
- He either wants way more or way less sex. In the end, it all comes back to sex most of the time. Whether he wants way more or none at all, a sudden change in your boyfriend’s sex drive means something. Maybe he’s trying to distance himself from you or maybe he’s overcompensating for something else. But there’s always going to be some explanation for it. If you can’t figure out why, there’s probably something he’s not telling you. It could be unrelated to your relationship, but you should remember that there’s usually a reason for a sudden change in a guy’s sex drive. If you don’t know what it is, you need to find out.