I’m sure there are few things more frustrating for women than trying to figure out what a guy is thinking. After all, we don’t always like to share our feelings. I imagine this is particularly frustrating when you’re trying to figure out if a guy thinks his long-term future includes you next to him. Unfortunately, most of us aren’t going to come out and say that we’re thinking long-term. Most of the time, we may not realize it ourselves. However, there are several signs you can look for that indicate you’re going the distance.
- You’re frequently around his family. A one-time meet and greet with a guy’s family isn’t always as meaningful as you think. But the more frequently you’re around his nearest and dearest, the more likely you’ll be around for the long haul. If you’re regularly invited to family functions, it’s a sign that he wants you to feel comfortable around his family. Most guys don’t do that unless they think you’ll be a permanent part of their lives.
- He wants to get to know your family. Likewise, if he’s eager to spend time with your family, it’s a sign that you have a future together. After all, it’s one thing if you have to coerce him into meeting your family, but if he’s excited to spend time with them, it means he’s comfortable around them or wants to be comfortable around them because he’s planning on a lot of family gatherings in the future. If nothing else, it means that your family won’t be a roadblock to a future together.
- He’s got an eye for detail. Most guys aren’t super detail-oriented, at least when it comes to women. But that changes when he likes you and thinks that things could get serious. He’ll remember key details and events from the early part of your relationship as if he were writing a book about it. The more he mentions stuff like this, the more he likes you. Plus, he likely remembers them because he thinks you’ll be together for a long time.
- Your opinion is important to him. Whenever a guy genuinely listens to you, it’s a sign that he’s serious. If he asks for your opinion and then follows your advice, it’s because he trusts you. Of course, if he doesn’t trust you, it’s doubtful that you have a long-term future together. Even early in a relationship, you can tell if a guy trusts you and genuinely wants to know your opinion about things. This is a great sign that you might have a future together. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be interested in your point of view.
- He shares secrets. As you’ve probably figured out, men don’t just divulge personal information and secrets to anyone. Remember, we like to play things close to the vest. There are some secrets that will only tell a few people in our lifetime. If you feel like he’s opening up to you like that, it’s a strong indicator that he sees you there long-term. Most men wouldn’t risk sharing with people who aren’t going to be around much longer.
- He asks about your future. Sure, if a guy asks about your future on a first date, he’s probably just making conversation. But if it happens a little later in the relationship, there’s a reason. Most likely, he’s interested in your future plans because he wants to know how he might fit into them. He may not come right out and ask how he fits into your future, but just the fact that he’s curious is a good sign.
- He talks about having kids. This is the big sign that’s unmistakable. To be fair, if he mentions wanting kids on a first date, he’s probably just telling you what he thinks you want to hear. But once you’ve been dating a while, any mention of a family means he’s at least thought about what a future with you would be like. I mean, it’d be weird to bring up kids if he wasn’t thinking that, right?
- He wants to get a pet together. This is a big step in a relationship, right? Admit it, when you ladies ask a guy if he wants to get a pet together, it’s a test, right? Likewise, if a guy wants to adopt a pet with you, he’s seemingly committing to at least a few years with you. Granted, couples with a pet together can still break up. But I think we all know how messy that can get. The point is that a guy asking you to get a pet together is a big stepping stone in any relationship. Odds are, he’s asking you because he can envision a future with you.