To say that dating sucks is basically like saying that the sky is blue at this point – it’s obvious. However, sometimes there are things people do that make the whole process way more painful than it needs to be. If you find yourself complaining that every single date you go on is a total disaster, keep an eye out for these signs you’re a terrible date and it may largely be down to you.
- You never put your phone away. This is just bad manners. I know we all live on our phones 24/7 and it’s considered “normal” at this point doesn’t mean it’s right. You’re going to be with this person, what, a few hours at most? I think you can put your phone away and give your date your full attention. If you refuse to do so and instead and are answering texts, scrolling social media, or basically doing anything else, you’re the problem.
- You’re openly judgmental about everything they say. This is one of the biggest signs you’re a terrible date (and potentially not a great person). When you first meet someone, you should want to get to know them without preconceived notions or judgments. If you go into a date with an attitude about their job, their appearance, their hobbies, or anything else, it’s no wonder things keep going wrong.
- You won’t stop talking about your ex. Who shows up to a date and won’t shut up about their ex? Someone who’s clearly not over their last relationship yet. This is another one of those big signs you’re a terrible date – you’re trying to meet someone new, a new potential partner, and talking about your past partner isn’t going to help that in any way.
- You refuse to open up about yourself. While you shouldn’t be dumping your life’s biggest secrets on your date when you first meet, you should go into things willing to be open and honest so that they have a chance to get to know you. Otherwise, how can you tell whether there’s any chemistry between you? If you’re not willing to be a little bit vulnerable and put yourself out there, you shouldn’t bother going.
- You complain about everything. Oh man, the biggest sign of being a terrible date there can possibly be. Who wants to have dinner with someone who constantly complaints that the waiter is taking too long, the food’s too salty, the drinks don’t have enough alcohol in them, etc. etc.? You don’t necessarily have to sit there and swallow it if there’s something seriously wrong while you’re out together, but try to keep the complaining to a minimum.
- You expect them to pick up the tab. Sure, if they asked you out and want to pay for the evening, that’s fine. However, waltzing into a date expecting that the other person is going to pick up the bill while you wine and dine to your heart’s content is just bad juju.