When it comes to love, sometimes you’re so busy thinking about things that feeling comes second — in other words, you let your head do the work instead of your heart. For being so damn smart, you can be so damn dumb when it comes to these relationship mistakes:
- Expecting perfection. What you need to do is set realistic expectations. If you’re waiting on perfection, you’ll be waiting for the rest of your life. Nothing in this world is perfect, not even love, so stop expecting it to be. Start seeing the beauty in the flaws and you’ll stop ending up so damn disappointed.
- Getting scared and backing off. Your heart says jump, but your head says to run for the hills. You know that the further you fall, the harder it is to get back up. You don’t want a broken heart, so you never let yourself get to super close to a guy. You might be smart, but your fear (however deserving it may be) is holding you back.
- Obsessing over the little things. It might be the little things that count, but your obsession with the details is fogging the big picture. You don’t need him to love you a certain way. You just need him to love you. Chill out before you have an aneurysm.
- Overthinking your relationship. You love your brain, but sometimes you wish you could just turn it off. Being smart all the time can be exhausting. You overanalyze a guy’s every word, and it gets you both into trouble. You wish that you didn’t have to overthink every move he makes, but unfortunately, your brain just doesn’t work that way.
- Giving up on second chances. Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. As an intelligent woman, you know this to be true. Therefore you’re never plagued with on-again/off-again relationships. Unfortunately, this also means that the guys who fail to give you the perfect first date never get their second chance.
- Giving statistics too much credit. Fifty percent of marriages end in divorce — those are the same odds of flipping a coin for heads or tails. In your opinion, those are some pretty crappy odds, especially when your heart is on the line. So rather than risking it all for love, you play it safe. You never were much of a gambler.
- Remembering his every mistake. We all make mistakes and you might know how to forgive, but one thing you can never seem to do is forget. Your epic memory can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse, because as much as you’d like to move past the bad times, when a fight breaks out, it’s just too easy to remind him of every last mistake he’s ever made.
- Neglecting his love. You have your own stuff going on — not just a life, but also a career that you actually care about. It’s a priority, and sometimes you just might choose your job while taking your boyfriend for granted. It’s good to have your own life — just make sure you make time for your loved one, too.
- Investing too much in him as your future. You don’t know what the future will bring, but the one thing you do know is that he’ll be standing next to you. It’s great that you feel so secure in your relationship, but that doesn’t mean you can leave your friends behind. You might be smart, but not making time for your girls is just plain dumb.