If you grew up in the ’90s, chances are you loved the Spice Girls. How could you not? They were energetic, loved life, and lived and breathed girl power. They were exactly what pop music and culture needed at the time and I think back on that era with fondness all the time. It’s sad that they’re not still together save for the random occasional reunion, but there’s actually a bit of good news: the Spice Girls are just about to release their first new song in 14 years!
- It’s been 25 years since “Wannabe” was released. Feel old yet? The release of the new track is to commemorate that very special anniversary, and I can’t think of a better excuse for a celebration. It’s hard to believe that their very first song came out more than two decades ago – how crazy is that?!
- The new song is called “Feed Your Love.” You may not know this, but a tiny sliver of the song actually leaked online back in 2016. However, now we finally get the hear the full thing when it’s released as part of a special, limited-edition EP coming out next month called Wannabe25. That album will also contain a never before heard demo of “Wannabe,” just FYI!
- No, Victoria Beckham isn’t a part of this. Posh has always felt a bit too, well, posh for the group and has tended to bow out of any reunion efforts that Mel B, Mel C, Emma Bunton, and Geri Horner (previously Halliwell) have tried to put together. It’s unclear whether or not she features on “Feed Your Love” or whether the group recorded a new version just for the EP.
- They may even go on tour again! The last time the Spice Girls did a mini-tour of the UK was in 2019 and apparently, they’re keen to do it again ASAP. “It’s going to be a huge year and the girls are excited,” a source told The Sun.“After all the coronavirus problems, there really needs to be something to look forward to and they want to take over 2021 with a tour.” And it’s not just a rumor, either – Emma Bunton has seemingly confirmed that all the ladies are interested, telling Radio X: “We started talking about maybe doing some more and then lockdown happened, which is such a shame. I’m dying to do it again. I’m waiting to see what’s going on in the world. You can’t book anything yet, so we’re waiting for that moment, but I’m sure that will happen when we can!”
- Wannabe25 will be released on July 9. In the meantime, you can share your favorite Spice Girls memories on social media using the hashtag #IAMASPICEGIRL. If you’re lucky, they might even get shared on the official Spice Girls accounts.