When you’ve been single for a while, you start to become super picky. You don’t mean to be, but it’s like something magically happens where you don’t think anyone is worth dating — and for the most part, you might actually be right. Here’s why you really need to stop dating mediocre guys:
- You’ve worked hard on yourself. You’ve studied your butt off and gotten into grad school. You’ve landed your dream job and proven that you deserve it. You’ve gotten in shape and learned how to cook (well, sort of). You’ve done the work, so why are you wasting your time with some loser who hasn’t accomplished anything?
- You need someone on your level. You’re not being snobby, you’re being realistic. You’re a good person. You treat others well, you care about your career and you stand up for yourself. Why would you date someone without those qualities? What possible benefit could you get?
- You always regret it. Whenever you go out with a guy who’s unemployed or in some limbo between having a job and going to school, you totally regret it. You tried to be open-minded and give him the benefit of the doubt, but he just seemed lazy and had nothing to talk about.
- Ambition is attractive. If you’re a go-getter who actually likes getting to work in the morning, then how could you possibly be with someone who’s the complete opposite? It makes sense that you would be super attracted to ambition. Don’t let that go.
- Life is tough. Dating a mediocre guy is never going to pay off. When you’ve been together long-term and the crap hits the fan, you’re going to be the one dealing with it because he definitely won’t be stepping up to the plate. If you’re okay with that, then go ahead. But you probably think that sounds awful, right?
- You’re going to be disappointed. Even if you ignore your screaming gut and take a chance, you’re not going to get the happily ever after that you want. It’ll become super clear from the start that you’re not well-matched. He could be the cutest guy on the planet but if he hates his job and doesn’t love his life either, then that bad attitude is going to rub off on you. Don’t undo everything you’ve achieved.
- There’s no reason to. You already know that you live a pretty amazing single life. You don’t have to date someone who’s beneath you. You have the self-confidence and the courage to go it alone for a little while, so why not just do that? This guy is not the only one left. Promise.
- He will be worth the wait. You may be super frustrated with the solo life now, but hang in there. You’re going to be so glad you didn’t settle. The best reason you should say goodbye to mediocrity? Your future boyfriend who is totally worth it, and he’ll also be super glad you waited.