A Scottish teacher has been banned from teaching for life after she allegedly kissed and had sex with a student after prom. The General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS) removed Melissa Tweedie, 27, from the teaching register on February 14 following an investigation about her extremely inappropriate behavior.
- Tweedie reportedly got with a student at a hotel. She’s accused of sleeping with an S6 student after the leavers night at SWG3 in Glasgow in June 2017. The alleged sexual incident is said to have taken place at a Premier Inn after the prom.
- The GTCS couldn’t prove the allegation. Due to a lack of evidence presented to the panel, the GTCS couldn’t reasonably say that Tweedie had in fact slept with the pupil. However, she was seen “dancing inappropriately” and even taking shots with students at the bar for the event at Gleniffer High School in Paisley, Renfrewshire.
- The student she reportedly slept with was 18. This wasn’t a criminal issue given that the male student was an adult at the time of the alleged incident. However, the GTCS found it inappropriate that they shared wine, gin, shots, and beer and then apparently had sex. While Tweedie admitted waking up in bed with the student, she has always denied having sex with him.
- Tweedie released a statement when the allegations against her emerged. “I saw what appeared to be a bag of cocaine waved in my face, it was highly alarming and that is why I did not go home with my flatmate. I should have walked back to tell the other staff and I should have called the police,” she said. “Pupils were saying ‘Miss, come upstairs for a drink, it’ll only be one.’ I was given one glass of Echo Falls white wine by a girl. The next part that is clear is jolting up in the bed, I can’t see any face in my memory but I woke up and said ‘what are you doing here?'”
- The student confirmed that he and Tweedie slept together. “We kissed, no one initiated it. We went downstairs and had sex in my room,” the unnamed pupil said. “She stayed the night and we both left at eight. I feel really sorry for Miss Tweedie, I had already handed in my leavers form. In my eyes, it wasn’t a student event.”
- The GTCS found Tweedie’s behavior fell short of the standards required for teachers. They decided to remove her from the registry as she is “unfit to teach.” Tweedie now works as a yoga teacher in Dubai.