A Texas woman has been arrested and charged with one count of deadly conduct with a firearm after she accidentally shot her 5-year-old son while aiming for a loose puppy. Angelia Mia Vargas, 24, was said to have been outside with her son and another family member riding bikes outside of 700 Dunham Road in Houston on Saturday, May 29 when gunshots broke out, missing the dog entirely and striking the little boy instead, ABC 13 reports.
- The dog is a 6-month-old boxer puppy named Bruno. The dog escaped from the house when his owner opened the door believing that his brother had arrived. “I came out of my house because Bruno was barking and barking. I thought my brother was coming,” he recalled. “So, I open the door just a little bit and he comes running out.”
- The owner came out to get the dog and called it back immediately after it escaped. In Ring doorbell footage obtained by the new station, the owner is seen coming after the dog, which then roams out into the street. However, less than a second later, Vargas fired multiple shots at it.
- Vargas struck her son, not the dog. A few seconds after the multiple gunshots were heard, the little boy’s parents began screaming. The 5-year-old had to be rushed to the hospital after he was struck in the abdomen by one of the stray bullets.
- Thankfully, the little boy’s injuries were not life-threatening. Detective J. Hasley with the HPD Major Assaults and Family Violence Division revealed that Vargas had fired three bullets from a small caliber pistol, one of which injured the boy. However, he is expected to make a full recovery.
- Bruno’s owner doesn’t understand why Vargas had to fire a gun at all. After all, it’s not as if the dog was being aggressive or attacking anyone. “She could have handled it differently. You know, she was there, her husband was there, I was there, nothing would have happened. Nothing bad like that,” the owner said. In fact, knowing the little boy could have been killed has been haunting them ever since. “I was asleep and I had a dream hearing the little boy crying, and that’s what woke me up when I was sleeping yesterday.”