Robert Pattinson has come a long way from playing sparkly 300-year-old vampire Edward Cullen in the Twilight franchise. These days, he’s taking on slightly more respectable roles, including one of the most iconic superheroes of all time. Now, Matt Reeves’ The Batman has its first trailer offering fans a chance to glimpse Pattinson in the legendary role.
- Where have you seen Matt Reeves’ work before? Reeves was the director of movies such as War for the Planet of the Apes and Cloverfield, Dawn. That should give you an idea of his style of filmmaking. It should be interesting to see how that’s translated in The Batman.
- This movie will focus on Batman’s role as “world’s best detective.” In other words, this version of Batman might be slightly more cerebral than previous versions. While there’s sure to be plenty of action still – this is a superhero movie we’re talking about, after all – we should also get a little bit more of a thoughtful approach to the story.
- Robert Pattinson has some other great actors to work with here. The Batman also stars Colin Farell as The Penguin, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Andy Serkis as Alfred, Paul Dano as The Riddler, and Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon. Talk about a star-studded cast!
- The Batman will be a “younger version” than previous Batman films. In an interview with Den of Geek, co-writer Mattson Tomlin said, “I think that really looking at Batman as somebody who has gone through this trauma, and then everything that he’s doing is then a reaction to that, rather than shy away from that, I think this film leans into that in some very fun and surprising ways. I think that’s all I can say without getting yelled at.”
- The Batman will be in theatres from October 1, 2021. That’s still quite a long wait, but for now, at least we have a trailer to let us know what we have to look forward to!