Yes, hearing him say “I love you” is important, but his actions can show you that he feels strongly for you all on their own and in many ways, those gestures mean even more. After all, words are easy to say, but actually putting in an effort to do something is a whole other ball game. Here are 12 things a guy can do to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
- He makes you a cup of tea. It’s simple, but when you’ve stepped in after a day from hell or you’re soaked through after getting caught in the rain, your favorite cup of tea will feel like someone giving you a thousand dollars. It’s not even just about the warm cup, it’s that he knew it was what you needed.
- He checks you’re home safe. After a date, he sends you a text to say he had a great time and to confirm that you’re home safely. This is a nice way for him to show that he really cares about your well-being, and what’s better than receiving a text from him before bedtime?
- He makes your favorite pancakes. He remembers that you love peanut butter and syrup pancakes, so he surprises you with them to make you smile. Bonus points if he makes them before you spend the night at his place (instead of as a delicious breakfast after sleeping together) because it shows he just wants to make you happy.
- He says “thank you.” It’s so simple but so important. If he regularly thanks you for little and big things you do for him, he’s really saying he loves you because he’s showing you that he doesn’t take you for granted. He appreciates having you in his life.
- He writes you poetry. Okay, so he might not be a wordsmith, but that doesn’t matter. If he can pen his thoughts, no matter how badly, it’s a sign that he’s unafraid to step out of his comfort zone to make you feel romanced. It’s sweet of him to go the extra mile and put pen to paper about how you make him feel. FYI, he doesn’t have to be a wannabe poet. Maybe he plays you a song that makes him think of you or he builds you a bookshelf that he knows you need. Romance can be loads of different things.
- He spends time with your family. He might not get along with them or he might find some of your family members annoying AF, but he still makes time to see them and be nice to them. He knows that your special peeps are important to you so he’ll make the effort with them because he loves you.
- He gives you his jacket. Yeah, chivalry is dead and all that, but it doesn’t have to be. Giving you his jacket when it’s cold outside isn’t just about being charming, it’s a sign he doesn’t want you to be cold or uncomfortable. It’s a sign that he’s thinking of your well-being without you having to ask him to.
- He listens without jumping in and giving you advice. Many guys just want to solve your problems so you don’t feel sad anymore and that’s sweet, but there’s something really special about a guy who can just shut up and listen to what you have to say without interrupting you or telling you what you should do.
- He asks about your brother or bestie. If he remembers that your brother was having a hard time at work or your bestie was ending a toxic relationship and then asks you about them, it shows that he’s really paying attention and he cares about the people and things that you care about. Only a guy who really loves you will do that.
- He asks what your love language is. Everyone’s love language is different, and it’s not always easy to know what one’s partner’s love language is. If he takes the time to try to find out what your love language is so he can do things that make you feel loved by him, he really cares about making your happiness a priority. The guy’s got a serious case of the feels for you!
- He doesn’t buy it when you say “I’m fine.” A guy you’re dating might ask you if you’re OK and then easily accept your answer when you say that you’re fine. A guy who’s in love with you will show that he cares by being able to read between the lines. He’ll notice if something’s wrong just by looking at you or listening to your tone. He pays attention and goes deeper, showing you he’s there for you.
- He puts you first. He doesn’t always have to put you first—obviously relationships are about compromise and boundaries—but when he knows something’s important to you, he loves you enough to make it important to him, too. He doesn’t necessarily have to agree with your opinion or strong feeling, but that doesn’t matter because he’ll still make it important and respect your decision. That’s love right there.
If you find a guy who’s willing to do all of these things for you, consider yourself lucky. They’re rare, but when you find one, hold onto him because he’s definitely a keeper.