If you grew up in the ’90s, chances are, you watched Home Improvement. Whether you had a crush on Jonathan Taylor Thomas like me and my elementary school BFF Melissa or you just thought it was hilarious the way Tim picked on Al or how you could never see Wilson’s face over the fence, it was a classic sitcom of the decade that enjoyed a successful eight-year run. Now star Tim Allen wants a reboot, and frankly, I’ve heard worse ideas.
- Pretty much everything is being rebooted these days. While I can’t say it’s my favorite pop culture trend of the moment—sometimes you need to end things on a high note and not try to recapture the old magic, especially when there are so many new original scripts out there that would love a chance to be seen—it’s happening so we might as well embrace it. Everything from Full House to Saved by the Bell is being brought back from the dead, so why not Home Improvement too?
- Tim Allen is really, really keen to make it happen. I’m sure, since it would likely earn him a nice amount of money, but also because he and the cast really want to relive their former glory! “I always think about it, because I still talk to everybody involved,” Allen told TV Line.
- He doesn’t think it should be a full series. Much like the Friends reunion will be a one-off special, Allen thinks the Home Improvement reboot should be short and sweet. “I like the idea of doing it as a one-off, like a one-hour movie,” he said. “I like the idea of finding out where the boys are now, and where…Tool Time would be in today’s world. I just think it’s a marvelous idea, and all the actors think it’s a great idea.”
- I mean, who doesn’t want to see JTT again? I think it would be hilarious to see Mark, Randy, and Brad as grown men to see what they’re up to. Also, are Tim and Jillian still married? Does Tim still work with Heidi and Al? There are so many updates we need 20 years later that an hour could easily be filled out.
- Sadly, no network is pursuing this at the moment. There’s nothing official in the works, but Allen is putting his desire for a reboot out there just in case any networks are interested. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!