You’ve probably heard about arm wrestling, but what about toe wrestling? The idea of locking your little piggies with anyone else’s might sound a little strange but it’s a real sport and there’s an annual championship for it in England.
- How did this even come about? Apparently it happened back in 1976 at a pub in Derbyshire near Manchester. A bunch of British guys were looking for a sport that only they could win and the World Championship of toe wrestling began!
- Not just any toes can join. Not everyone has very nice feet and you wouldn’t want to be putting your toes on anyone else’s unless you were sure they were clean. Thankfully, contestants in the toe wrestling competition have their feet very thoroughly examined for signs of fungus, injury, or other nasties.
- Alan ‘Nasty’ Nash is the longest-reigning champion. Alan ‘Nasty’ Nash has held the title of World Champion of Toe Wrestling for 16 years in a row, which goes to show just how strong he is. Of course, that doesn’t stop anyone stepping in to challenge him and try to take his title. Someone will defeat him eventually!
- How do you even do it? The competition starts by the competitors locking right toes, then left, then right again before duking it out. Again, it’s kinda just like thumb racing but just with toes. It’s arguably more hilarious as well because hello, feet are really funny, right? Maybe I’m just a bit immature.
- Women and children can get involved as well. There are separate competitions held for women and children so no one has to miss out on the fun. If you wanted to get involved, you totally could – but while it sounds like it would be easy, this is a serious sport that takes a lot of strength to win.