Thousands of pages of documents filed by both sides in the Amber Heard and Johnny Depp defamation trial were unsealed this weekend, shedding light on much of the alleged evidence that was not allowed in court. The documents included crude texts between Johnny Depp and Marilyn Manson as well as Depp’s team’s insinuation that Heard did a “brief stint as an exotic dancer.” It’s no wonder these elements were barred by Judge Penney Azcarate.
- The documents were published online and verified. Poring through them shows the aggressive approach of both parties’ sides to show the jury what they believed would help them win the case. Some of the material was more shocking than the rest, though it’s likely this was not allowed to be presented in court is it’s not factual and/or not relevant.
- Heard’s lawyers were barred from using some important evidence. One 965-page document filed on March 28 opposed the judge’s decision to ban Depp’s medical history from evidence. They also opposed Depp’s attempt to use potentially damaging information about Heard, including “Amber Heard’s sister Whitney’s reality show video” and “Whitney and Amber’s past romantic relationships.”
- Depp wanted to accuse Heard of being an escort. Depp’s attorneys filed documents requesting to tell the jury about “Amber’s brief stint as an exotic dancer years before she met Mr. Depp.” Heard’s lawyer’s obviously opposed this, writing: “Mr. Depp [is] attempting to frivolously and maliciously suggest or imply that Ms. Heard was at one time an escort.”
- Johnny Depp’s texts with Marilyn Manson were also disallowed. Lest we forget, Manson has also been accused of sexual abuse and grooming, so a friendship between the pair seems questionable at best. One of Manson’s texts to Johnny Depp in 2016 stated: “I got an amber 2.0” and “Lindsay just puled an amber on me…please delete.” Depp then responds: “I been reading A LOT of material on that and sociopathic behavior…it is fucking real my brother!! My ex-c—t is goddamn TEXTBOOK!!!”
- Further texts between Johnny Depp and Marilyn Manson go even further. Manson then references an incident in which police were called to Depp’s and Heard’s Los Angeles apartment in 2016, saying: “I got a serious police amber type scenarios with L’s family. I’m fucking stressing. I don’t know if you are back but I need asylum somewhere because I think the cops might be headed my way.” Heard’s lawyers wanted Johnny Depp’s texts to be allowed into the trial, as well as claims that he and Manson went on “drug binges” together.
You can read a full rundown of the unsealed documents including more texts from Johnny Depp and filings from Heard’s lawyers over at The Daily Beast here.