Vajazzling has been around for a while, but it’s not necessarily mainstream. Generally speaking, the process of sprucing up your nether regions with sparkly jewels and sequins seems more for strippers than the average woman. However, I gave it a go and immediately wondered why I didn’t try it sooner—it’s awesome!
- Admittedly, I did it because I lost a bet. My boyfriend had heard about the vajazzle online and suggested I try it. I looked at him like he was crazy because that’s exactly what I thought he was—there was no way I was going to cover my vagina in rhinestones. He was crushed, so I compromised and we made a bet: if he shaved all of his pubic hair off, I’d get a vajazzle. You can see where this is going.
- There are way too many vajazzle designs to choose from. From permanent piercings to temporary tattoos and of course the rhinestones, the vagina is a blank canvas for fulfilling your wildlest vajazzle dreams. Eventually, I decided on the classiest design I could find. It featured a semi-permanent black heart tattoo with accompanying light flares and gems in silver, black and red to affix once the tattoo was in place. I purchased the design online and my vagina accessories were on their way to their new home on my crotch.
- The application is super easy and can be done alone. The vajazzle fanatics online all had their opinions on which salons provided the best service, but I couldn’t even bring myself to go for a wax or a manicure so I definitely wasn’t venturing out to style my vagina. I wanted to limit the number of people involved in the process so I did it myself and it was easier than I thought it’d be. I applied the tattoo to clean and freshly shaved skin, soaking the backing paper off with a damp cloth. Next came the multiple jewels in various sizes, which were applied with the supplied glue. Then I waited, wandering around the house with no pants on until everything dried. It was super classy.
- Vajazzles are actually very low maintenance. I expected the glue to peel as easily as the stuff that comes with false eyelashes, but that wasn’t the case with my vajazzle. Surprisingly, the gems clung on well, even after wearing tight hosiery and skinny jeans. The package came with spare parts too, meaning that if any sparkles did go astray, I had spares to do a little touch-up. The tattoo itself stayed strong for about a week until I started to see small cracks and fading.
- I’ve never loved my vagina more. I don’t have many hang-ups about my vagina, mostly because I’ve made my peace with the fact that no matter how it looks, every vagina is different and all are completely normal. However, I will admit that since getting a vajazzle, I love it even more!
- It’s my sexy secret. No one was more surprised at my reaction to the vajazzle than I was. I didn’t feel slutty or tacky at all—I actually felt really sexy. Even while unbuttoning my jeans to go to the bathroom, I managed not to obsess about my muffin top for once and instead smiled at my new sparkling mound. I loved that nobody else knew what was underneath my clothes except me. It was a real confidence booster and I walked with my head held higher and felt way less self-conscious when I went out. Weird, right?
- Vajazzles are cheaper than lingerie. I felt the same way with a vajazzle as I do when I wear expensive lingerie, only my bank balance was significantly higher! The other problem with lingerie? It comes off in the bedroom while the vajazzle stays put for a whole romp. Not only did I enjoy catching a glimpse of it, my boyfriend did too.
- It’s my new go-to accessory. I’m now the proud owner of multiple packs of D.I.Y. vajazzle kits. I obviously don’t wear them every day, but it’s nice to know that when I need to feel a little sexier, especially on a bloated Monday, I can give myself a treat and immediately start feeling better without spending too much money or eating my weight in chocolate. What’s not to love?
- I shouldn’t have judged vajazzles so harshly Vajazzles get a bad rep. I knew nothing about them before I actually tried them and I’m kinda glad I took the plunge so that I could educate myself a bit more. They’re sexy inside and outside the bedroom and I won’t need to lose a bet to wear one again.