Wendy’s is totally underrated in the fast food game. Their burgers are delicious (and square!), their fries are tasty and more consistently fresh than McDonald’s (though McD’s are tastier when hot out of the oil), and the Frosty is one of the most delicious desserts on the planet. I love Wendy’s, which is why I was so stoked to hear that the breakfast menu they’ve been testing out in selected markets is actually going nationwide in 2020!
- This isn’t Wendy’s first foray into breakfast. As far back as 2010, Wendy’s was planning on launching a breakfast menu, but things just never worked out. They abandoned plans to try out the morning menu that year, and as recently as 2015 the company CEO insisted they wouldn’t wade into the breakfast wars. My, how things change!
- Their breakfast menu finally hit 300 markets in late 2019. Wendy’s introduced breakfast items including a classic bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit in select markets around the US to gauge response and it’s gone well, so now it’s hitting all Wendy’s locations this year.
- There are three new delicious breakfast items hitting the menu. Frankly, I wouldn’t know what to order. There’s the Honey Butter Chicken Sandwich, which is exactly what it sounds like: a fried chicken fillet on a biscuit smothered in honey butter. There’s also a Breakfast Baconator which comes with an egg, six strips of Applewood smoked bacon, a breakfast sausage patty, two slices of American cheese, and Swiss cheese hollandaise sauce on a bun. Um, I’m starving just thinking about it!
- I’m probably most excited about the Frosty-ccino. That’s right, we’re talking a coffee-infused Frosty, and anyone who loves chocolate and coffee together will know just how delicious this is going to be. This drink is comprised of cold brew coffee that can be blended with either the chocolate or vanilla Frosty, so pick your poison!
- Wendy’s breakfast is a no-brainer. Wendy’s CEO Todd Penegor realizes that now is the time to hit up the breakfast game, saying, “Launching breakfast in our U.S. restaurants nationwide provides incredible growth opportunities. We are well-positioned to pursue it. We believe we have the right team and structure in place, and we put Wendy’s fan favorites on our breakfast menu to set us apart from the competition.” I’m on my way!