When guys want to settle down, they’re serious about having a long-lasting relationship. A proposal pretty much states “I’m in love with you and I think I can see a future with you.” That’s why these things should never be rushed — it’s a huge decision to make. If you’re thinking about what life would be like as a wife, here are a few traits your guy is looking for when figuring out his true feelings.
- He wants to make sure you’re trustworthy. Lying is one of the worst things you can do. Because eventually, the truth will come out — and, he’ll have lost a lot of faith in you. Marriage can be rocky sometimes. You’ll have good periods of time, and bad. Sometimes, you need to be straightforward with bad news, especially if it’s something the two of you will have to tackle together.
- He wants to have the same goals as you. People change, and sometimes, it’s hard to know what you want or expect out of your future. But your guy needs to at least make sure the two of you are going the same direction. If he wants kids, he’ll have already made sure that you also want to have kids. Financially, he’ll also want to make sure you’re on the same place. If he wants to save up for a home but you’d rather go on vacations and keep renting, that might turn into a big issue down the road.
- He hopes you can give him some space. As a married couple, you’ll be doing everything together. That being said, you can be in love and still get tired of someone after awhile. Your guy wants you both to have the space you need to do your own thing. If you depend on him for everything and can’t leave the house without him by your side, you might find yourself having more marital tension. Everyone needs time to themselves.
- He wants you to be happy with yourself. Good guys don’t care if you gain 10 pounds. They just want you to be happy and have a healthy image of yourself. Confident women make great partners. Sure, we all get a little down about our looks sometimes, but he doesn’t want you to hate yourself on a daily basis. That will add pressure to the marriage, lead to extra fights if you’re looking at him for validation, and make him feel like it’s his job to lift your spirits.
- He appreciates a sense of humor. And even better, a sense of humor that doesn’t involve putting anyone down. When guys look for a wife, they want someone that they can have a good time with. If you’re able to make him laugh, that’ll win you major points. Who wants to be with someone who can’t get them to crack a smile?
- He’s hoping for someone who’ll improve with age. Nobody wants to be with someone who’s stuck. People are constant works in progress. He wants someone who’s true to themselves, but wouldn’t be afraid to try a new skill or start up a new hobby. Self-improvement is a wonderful thing. Even though we’ll always look back and miss who we were in our 20s, it’s really important to be a better version of yourself when 40 hits.
- He wants someone who’ll let him show emotion. Guys are emotional too, they just have different ways of showing it sometimes. If you’ve proven that you can be trustworthy with his feelings, that’ll definitely put you in the “wife material” category. Yes, it’s fun to gossip about relationships with your girlfriends. But if you joke about how he cried or how he got sad over something, he’ll be really insulted — as he should be.
- He wants someone who’ll contribute. There’s no longer a split of “guy pays the bills, girl does the housework.” Not only is that outdated and a little sexist, but plenty of women are outranking their man when it comes to a career. All that matters these days is that you both take equal responsibility. Both of you should work together to keep your household running.
- He doesn’t want you to pick fights just because you’re bored. We’ve all done it at least once before — and, it’s not great. Sometimes, we nitpick our partners when things aren’t going right or you aren’t feeling your best. But, that behavior needs to stop — especially if you see a future with this person. You don’t need to always have something going on, or something to gossip about. He wants to be seen as your partner, not the person you tolerate for the good stories and drama.