Often times, we assume that men should be able to read our minds. Unfortunately, they can’t. Luckily, men’s minds don’t seem to be as complex as women in terms of wants and needs, and if you’ve been in enough relationships, you start learning what men really need to hear sometimes. If your relationship is in a bit of a slump, try using these lines.
- “You’re really funny.” Obviously, he needs to be really funny for this line to actually land. Men like it when their girlfriends laugh at their jokes. It gives them a boost of confidence. So if you’re dating someone who’s quick with the one-liners, let them know that you appreciate them. It’ll be a good thing for them to hear.
- “I appreciate the work you do.” Women have managed to become superheroes in the last few years. Often (but not always) they’re able to multitask and get work done both at their job and at home. Men (again, often but not always) like to channel a lot of their energy into their work. So, sometimes they’re stressed out — especially if they’re in a situation where they’re waiting for a promotion and living paycheck-to-paycheck. If he’s been stressed out a lot, tell him that you’re proud of the work he’s doing. It’ll remind him that you’re on his side.
- “I trust you.” This could be geared towards time with his friends, or just his ability to make decisions around the house. It’s good for him to know that you trust him to make the best and right decisions for both of you. No guy likes to be micromanaged, and when it happens in a relationship, it can get really stressful. It’s three simple lines that carry a lot of weight.
- “Thank you.” Relationships require a lot of work on both sides. Likely, there’s a lot you do for him, especially if you’re living together. He’s also looking out for you. You shouldn’t have to thank your boyfriend for being a decent person, but if he goes out of his way to help you out, or happens to plan an extra special date, he deserves a little recognition.
- “I feel safe around you.” This is both a boost to his ego and a great way to strengthen your relationship. Guys want to feel like they can adequately protect the people they love. This may be best used if you’re out in public or have a late-night — both things which have been more or less stalled based on the pandemic. But, you can also say it when you’re deep in a cuddle at home.
- “You look really nice today.” Physical attraction seems very important at first. But as a relationship goes on, we’re not as often surprised by what our significant others choose to wear. If your boyfriend made a great outfit choice, comment on it. If he did his hair in a completely new way, make sure to let him know you like it. It seems small, but compliments like this can really turn your boyfriend’s entire day around.
- “We should have a date night in.” One good thing about staying at home? Date night is a lot easier. Your boyfriend would love it if you just ordered a pizza and watched a movie. And then, if things get physical from there, even better. Keep dates casual and fun. If you’ve had a bit of a dead bedroom based on everything going on, try to rev that part of your life up again. He’ll definitely end up having a night to remember.
- “I really like your friends.” You can tell a lot about a guy based on the company they keep. If you genuinely like and respect your boyfriend’s buds, that’ll mean a lot to him. It’s important for you to at least have some familiarity with his guy friends. If they ever invite you to hang out with them, give it a shot — it’s a big compliment that they think you’re pretty cool, too.
- “It’s okay to have a night to yourself.” Everyone needs alone time. And, your boyfriend really appreciates it if they can do their own thing without feeling guilty. Schedule times where you’re both able to relax on your own terms. Your entire relationship will improve from the break, and he’ll feel as if he has more control over his day.