Being a strong, independent woman isn’t just about depending solely on yourself for everything. In fact, sometimes it means being able to lean on friends when you need them. It’s not about perfection; it’s about creating the life that is right for you and knowing yourself. When you put the time and effort into knowing who you are, you become a strong, independent woman that others are attracted to. Here are 10 signs you’ve earned this title.
- You can take care of yourself financially. You make sure that you have enough income to support yourself. You know how to balance your budget, handle investments, and make good money decisions. If there’s something that you need help with, you find that help, learn, and base your decisions on that.
- You know you don’t need a partner. You enjoy having someone special in your life and you might even want to get married someday but you’re aware that life isn’t focused on that. You have other interests, plus amazing friends and family to stick by you until the person you want to share your life with comes along.
- You take charge of your sexual needs. That means a variety of things to different people. Sometimes it might mean practicing safe sex with more than one partner. It could also mean that you communicate your needs and desires with one person that you’re committed to. For others, it might mean that you know how to take care of your own needs on a solo basis. You’re not afraid to admit that toys are your friends!
- You don’t rely on your parents. Your parents may be important people in your life and they may be able to afford to help you out monetarily and in other ways, but you don’t expect them to do so. You try to deal with your own problems before going to them. More often than not, you go to your parents for advice long before you would ask them for money.
- You chase your dreams unapologetically. While many people you know put their dreams on the back burner to make more money or because they aren’t exactly socially acceptable, you chase yours out in public. Your dreams are important to you, and you realize you’re worth following them for. No one needs to give you permission; you just do it.
- You ask for help when you need it. No one can do everything alone. We all need help at times and you recognize that. If you need help, you seek out the best source for getting that help and you ask for it. When you receive it, you remember who was there for you and make an effort to find the opportunity to repay the favor.
- You aren’t afraid of love. Many people who attempt to be independent are afraid of loving because that means they must make themselves vulnerable to another person, thus losing their independence. You know that real love doesn’t take away your ability to be strong – it adds to it. Real love just makes who you are better.
- You are happy to do things alone. While your friends are looking for someone to go to the new restaurant with, check out the hot new band at the bar, or go to the park on a weekend afternoon, you just do it. Sometimes you may invite a friend to join you, but doing things by yourself lets you enjoy it on a different level. You’re not afraid of being out in public alone and being home alone is relaxing.
- You set your boundaries. You’ve given a lot of thought regarding what’s acceptable to you and what isn’t, and setting boundaries for yourself is important to you. Others may have their own rules or boundaries, but that doesn’t mean you have to accept them for yourself.
- You give of yourself. You’re not selfish. As much as you are aware of your own needs and can take care of yourself and be independent, you know that you’re not the center of the universe. You help your friends and family when they need it. You’re there to talk or lend a shoulder to cry on. If there’s a way you can help others, you’ll definitely yry.
Being a strong and independent woman takes a lot of personal work. You need to put in the time and effort to work on yourself to reach this point in your life. It doesn’t mean that you live in a bubble, though. Friends, family, and other people matter to you and because you’re confident in what you need in your life, you’re more likely to help others in their lives.