When it comes to love and relationships, there are tons of labels that strive to describe the status and seriousness of the relationship. For example, a fling is much different from someone considered to be a life partner. Similarly, a twin flame is different from a soulmate in different ways despite how similar they seem on the surface. Let’s take a look at what separates the two and how you can identify which situation you’re in.
- What is the origin of the “twin flame” expression? The concept of the twin flame was first introduced by the Greek philosopher Plato in his play Symposium. According to the myth, the first humans had two heads, four arms, and four legs. The God Zeus was jealous and decided to weaken their bonds by splitting them into two halves. The halves are then left to roam the Earth in pursuit of their other half.
- What’s the definition of a soulmate? Soulmates are described as people who vibrate on the same frequency as us. In other words, the connection makes you feel safe and stable. A soulmate is a person you can turn to without judgment, like a best friend, and whose goal is to help make you a better person. This means a soulmate can be a cousin, a wife/husband, or a friend.
- So what’s the real difference? Twin flames are both halves of the same soul while each soulmate has a different soul in their body. It sounds simple when you put it that way, doesn’t it?
- Can you have more than one of each? Each person has only one twin flame, however, they may have multiple soulmates. A twin flame may also be a soulmate, but not all soulmates are twin flames. It’s also worth noting that everyone has a soulmate. It may be one soulmate in your part of the world, or several scattered across the world. However, many people do not have twin flames and will never experience this type of connection.
- What about romance? Contrary to popular belief, soulmate relationships aren’t always romantic. You can find your soulmate in a friend, sibling, or even your pet! It’s believed that soulmates were together in a previous life but can reincarnate to have different relationships in another life. Twin flame relationships, on the other hand, connect on spiritual, emotional, and physical levels and are therefore always romantic.
- Destiny plays a role in twin flames. Twin flames are meant to be together, whether in this life or the next. They will always find each other eventually. Soulmates, on the other hand, are not destined to be together forever. Soulmate relationships may last a fraction of a lifetime and leave a massive impact even if they’re only around for a limited amount of time.
- Insecurity differs in these relationships. There is no insecurity once twin flames meet. They both know they’re destined for each other and aren’t worried about interference in their relationship. Soulmates may experience insecurities, especially since these relationships don’t typically last a lifetime or extend across lifetimes.
- Twin flames detach but are destined to meet again. Twin flames will detach, but they’re guaranteed to meet in another lifetime. During this time, they both grow until they meet again. Soulmates detach as well but aren’t guaranteed to ever meet again. During the relationship, their growth may be in preparation for another soulmate.
- Soul frequency in soulmates and twin flames is unique too. Soulmates vibrate on similar frequencies. This is why they make such good pairs. Since twin flames are halves of the same whole, so they vibrate on the same frequency.
- Soulmates can attract drama, toxicity, and abuse. Twin flame relationships don’t have any drama because both halves are completely in sync and understand each other on emotional, physical, and spiritual levels. Soulmate relationships, on the other hand, can include drama and can become toxic or abusive. Soulmate relationships may also include manipulation and a thirst for dominance.
- Twin flames are always on the same page. Twin flames always see things from the same point of view. This is because of the shared soul and personality. Soulmates can have different perspectives and can learn from each other or fall out as a result.
- Communication rocks between twin flames. Communication between soulmates can be rocky since they are ultimately two different people. It will take some work and doesn’t always work out. Twin flames connect on a spiritual level and have seamless communication.
- Soulmates take longer to fall in love. Twin flames realize what they are the moment they see or come across each other. It’s similar to love at first sight but the connection is much deeper. Soulmates, on the other hand, take longer to realize their connection, and oftentimes, it goes overlooked.
- Emotional maturity between twin flames and soulmates isn’t always the same. Twin flames have unlocked emotional maturity and help each other to grow in that aspect. Soulmates do not always have a supportive journey and may end up derailing their progress or becoming petty and toxic.
It’s important to note that you don’t have to find your twin flame or even your soulmate in this lifetime, so don’t try to force things that aren’t destined to be these types of connections. Be open to what life has to offer, and live your life in pursuit of happiness.