You’re doing your own thing when you get a text from him out of the blue. “I miss you.” Woah, you never saw that coming! Does he really feel this way or is he just messing with your heart? Here’s a possible meaning behind a guy telling you he misses you.
- He’s not ready to say “I love you.” If he’s genuinely into you, he might be catching the feels but he’s not ready to take the plunge and tell you that he loves you. So, he’s doing the next best thing by telling you he misses you. It’s his way of making sure you know that he’s interested in you and you make him feel things. Awww.
- He’s keen to hang out with you. Whether you’ve been dating for a short amount of time or you haven’t heard from him in a while, he might be telling you that he misses you because he wants to spend time with you in person. It’s his way of encouraging you to make plans with him so you guys can hang out properly and get things going.
- He’s matching you. Now, things get a bit weird if he’s saying he misses you just because you said it first. He might feel that the situation is awkward AF if he doesn’t repay the favor and tell you that he misses you too. Ugh. It honestly would’ve been better if he didn’t say it until he was ready to because now it just feels weird.
- He hasn’t heard from you. Here’s another situation in which he genuinely misses you. Maybe you’ve been playing a bit hard to get and hoped he’d notice. Guess what? He did. And he misses hearing from you and sharing a laugh with you over something funny that happened during your day. This’ll feel good because it shows you that you’re not the only one who’s got feelings in this situation or relationship.
- He’s done something bad. Ah, now here’s something juicy. He might only be telling you he misses you because he did something to piss you off and he wants to make things right. So, he might only tell you in the moment but then never express his feelings again. Hmmm. It’s just a way for him to slide back into your good books and impress you.
- He feels you slipping away. Linked to the previous point, he might be telling you he misses you because he’s manipulating you. He feels that you’re moving away from him and he doesn’t want to end things, so he throws out a big “I miss you!” declaration in the hopes of keeping you around. Meanwhile, the minute you decide to stay he’ll be back to his old behavior that pisses you off. Telling you that he misses you is just a temporary Band-Aid over the real issue, which is that he’s playing you.
- He’s creeping out of the woodwork. If you haven’t heard from the guy in ages because he pulled away from you, but now he’s coming back and telling you how much he missed you, you should be hearing warning sirens. This guy is trying to sweeten you up! He knows you’re probably upset that he went AWOL, so he’s pulling out the big guns to make you see him as romantic and charming. Ugh.
- He wants something from you. If he’s not usually romantic with you but now he’s telling you how much you mean to him and how much he misses you, he might just want something from you. It might be sex, it might be that he wants a rebound relationship, or it might be that he’s keen to have a convenient and temporary situationship with you. Whatever the case, whenever a guy suddenly changes and starts acting like boyfriend material even though it’s way out of character, that’s a red flag.
- He’s bored or lonely. He might be telling you he misses you because it’s super convenient for him to do so. Maybe it’s a Saturday night and he’s feeling bored or lonely, so he expects you to drive across town to be with him. He just wants you to feel good so you can make him feel good – but it’s not about having real feelings for you.
- He wants things to progress. Of course, there’s always the chance that him telling you he misses you is a good, genuine thing! He might be saying this because he wants your relationship to progress. He’s not keen on telling you how cool it was to hang out earlier – no, he wants to be more serious. He basically wants to make it known that he wants something more serious with you. Telling you he misses you is a milestone along that path.
The Meaning Of Him Saying He Misses You: Signs He’s Genuine
It’s sometimes hard to know if a guy really misses you or is manipulating you, so how can you tell? Here are some signs that his feelings are genuine.
- It feels like things are progressing. You get a feeling that things are becoming more serious and committed with the guy, so if that’s the case him blurting out that he misses you is part of a bigger plan to date you. It’s not something that he said out of the blue, or when he was drunk or horny.
- His behavior matches his words. If he said he misses you and his actions have been in line with that, such as that he interacts with you regularly on social media as well as offline, then he’s giving you consistent messages that he’s into you big time.
- He backs it up with effort right away. If him telling you he misses you feels a bit out of the blue, you can be sure that he means it if he backs it up with real effort to date you immediately. So, he’ll initiate contact and make plans to see you or ask you out on a real date. He won’t bounce or disappear.