Outside of work, where you’ll likely have to follow a business dress code, it’s up to you to decide on your personal style. That style may not be what other people like, but so what? You’re the one wearing the clothes. Developing your own personal style is incredibly rewarding and well worth the effort. Try it and you’ll wonder why you ever got all dolled up for everyone else.
- You’ll actually be comfortable. Have you ever seen the girl wearing ultra tight skinny jeans with the pained look on her face every time she moves? Yeah, me too. Sure, guys might think she looks hot standing there, but she’s miserable. If you just dressed for you, you’d actually be comfortable.
- You look better. It’s easy to tell when someone is dressing to impress others. Their look tends to come off as contrived and way overdone – like they tried just a little too hard. If you’re more comfortable in a mini skirt and tank, go for it. If you prefer jeans and a tee, wear that. It’s when you think about what’s trendy or what others might think that your style starts looking like an episode of What Not To Wear.
- You’re more impressive. Ever heard the phrase “dress to impress”? There’s no better way to do that than wearing what you want. Dressing for yourself makes you feel more confident and comfortable. People notice this! They’ll probably even envy how brave you are to give all those die hard trend followers a symbolic middle finger.
- It shows off your personality. We have an infinite number of ways to show our own unique personalities. Fashion is one of them. Have a bright, bubbly personality? Embrace neons and wild prints. Feel more shy? Go for more neutral colors. Remember, you don’t have to dress the same every day. Try different styles until you find one that fits.
- You’ll feel better about your body. We might all be trying to be the version of perfection shown to us on the cover of every magazine, but newsflash – most of those covers are HEAVILY Photoshopped and not real at all. Why should you try to dress and look like them? Wearing what you feel good in will help you embrace who you are and what you look like. Dress with what suits you best, not what the media tells you is right.
- It makes you more independent. Did you see how many women chopped off their hair just to be like Beyonce? It’s ridiculous. The moment you start dressing to impress you and stop caring as much about what others think, the more you start living more for yourself. It’s a small step, but it needs to be taken.
- Your clothes affect how you think. The clothes you wear actually affect you mentally. Who knew a simple cotton tee was so powerful? For instance, wearing brighter colors can boost your mood. Wearing a little black dress makes you feel sexier. Use your clothes to change your mood or unleash your inner goddess. Stop pushing yourself aside to dress for others.
Strip off those clothes you’re wearing for others right now. Unless you’re ready this in public. If you are, wait til you get home first. Open your closet and discover the utter freedom of dressing completely for you and only you.