If you’re a fan of hip hop, chances are you already know that Sza and Drake once had a fling. That news came out back in 2020, on Drake’s track “Mr. Right Now.” However, details about their relationship — er, situationship? — were never really discussed… until now.
- It happened all the way back in 2009. If you’re bad at math, that’s nearly 15 years ago. That would have made Sza 20 at the time and Drake 23. They were very early on in their career — Sza even more than Drake — so they were able to keep things pretty low-key.
- Their youth is what kept them relatively unattached. While they liked one another well enough, Sza tells Rolling Stone that because they were both “really young,” it was never going to turn into anything serious.
- “It wasn’t hot and heavy or anything.” Makes sense. In addition to barely being out of their teenage years, they were also trying to build careers in the music industry. It’s no wonder, then, that Sza insists, “It was like youth vibes. It was so childish.”
- These days, Sza is looking for something more serious (though not with Drake). She doesn’t struggle as much with “needing that constant validation” like she did when she was younger. She knows how much she has to offer a potential partner. “I want to stunt like me when I meet the person I envision me being with,” she said. “I envision them falling in love with me the way I am.”
- There’s clearly no bad blood between the artists even now. Sza and Drake actually just collaborated on “Slime You Out,” a song for Drake’s upcoming album. A romance may not have worked out between the two of them, but they certainly mesh when it comes to music!