Few things are as painful as caring about someone who doesn’t care about you in return. While it can be tempting to stick it out with this person, hoping they’ll eventually come around, it’s always better to walk away from this kind of relationship. If the reasons aren’t immediately clear, read on to find out why you should leave the guy who acts like he doesn’t care about you.
- If he acts like he doesn’t care, then he doesn’t. No matter how good a liar someone is, they’ll always eventually show their true colors through their behavior. That’s why you should always believe a person’s actions. If he acts like he doesn’t care about you, then trust that he doesn’t. While in the early stages he might play hard to get or try negging, that phase should wrap up pretty quickly. If he continues to act like you don’t matter to him, you should believe him.
- Being with him will erode your self-esteem. Staying in a relationship, whether it’s official or casual, with someone who doesn’t care about you isn’t good for you. Staying will erode your self-esteem. By staying, you’re essentially telling yourself that you don’t deserve to be treated like a worthy person. Instead, you’re telling yourself and the world that you deserve to be treated like you don’t matter. After enough time spent like that, your self-esteem will start to wither away.
- A toxic relationship can lead to mental health issues. If he acts like he doesn’t care about you, then the relationship is toxic. And staying in a toxic relationship can not only damage your self-esteem—it can also lead to mental health issues. Those who have stayed in toxic relationships have reported increased anxiety and depression. These types of relationships can also cause feelings of helplessness, paranoia, and narcissism.
- If he doesn’t value your wellbeing, the relationship could turn abusive. Not all abusive relationships are abusive from the beginning. Most abuse stems from the abuser not respecting or caring about the wellbeing of their victim. So if he doesn’t care about you, you already have the foundations for an abusive relationship.
- Waiting for him to change will leave you disappointed. While some people can grow and change, you should never count on someone changing. Don’t stay in a relationship purely because you think someone might change. People don’t change unless they want to, so don’t rely on him to change for your sake. If you keep telling yourself that next time will be different, you’ll trap yourself in a cycle of disappointment.
- Walking away will help you to grow. It takes a lot of courage to walk away from a relationship. Even when a relationship isn’t a safe or happy place for you and the guy acts like he doesn’t care at all, it can still be difficult to walk away. But walking away makes the statement that you’re not going to put up with poor treatment. And that’s so powerful. By walking away, you’re likely to grow as a person.
- You deserve to be loved properly. The top reason to walk away from a guy who doesn’t care about you is you deserve real love. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done. By virtue of the fact that you’re a human, you are deserving of love and nothing less.
- Walking away from him leaves space for someone better. If you stay in a relationship that’s bad for you, you’re not free to look for a relationship that’s actually good for you. Getting rid of someone toxic in your life creates room for someone better. And trust that there are people out there who will love you the way you deserve to be loved. Waiting for them to come into your life might take some patience, but those kinds of people are out there. You don’t need to waste your time with someone who doesn’t treat you properly because you’re scared there’s no one else out there.
- It’s better to be alone than in the wrong relationship. There will be someone else out there for you. But even if you’re not ready for another relationship, you should still walk away from the person who doesn’t care about you. It’s always better to be alone than to be in the wrong relationship. Alone, you can work on yourself and focus on making yourself happy. You won’t be wasting your time with someone who can’t meet your needs.
When a guy acts like he doesn’t care about you, that’s probably because he doesn’t. The best thing you can do for yourself is to walk away now before you waste any more time or energy.