A young mom “accidentally” hanged herself while trying to get her partner’s attention after they had an argument the night before, an inquest heard. Ella Lomas, 24, from Fair Oaks in England, had a “tiff” with her boyfriend Bradley the night before and was said to have been trying to “make a gesture” showing him how “stressed” she’d been when she died. However, it was believed she didn’t truly intend to end her life.
- Ella had an emotional conversation with her mom the day prior. According to The Sun, Ella told her mom, “My level of expectation of how somebody should love me is too high. I do not think Bradley loves me anymore.” However, it’s unclear whether this feeling was the source of the couple’s argument the night before Ella’s death.
- She’d been training as an accountant and was under a lot of pressure. Ella’s mother, Lindsay Johnstone, said in a statement: “She had been stressed recently, which was due to various things. She was the main breadwinner, a high-level accountant running a home. She had, unfortunately, failed an exam in January but she had already re-booked it for March 9, she had prepared herself for failing this in January.”
- Her father had recently been arrested. Johnstone also revealed that Ella’s father, Jason Lomas, had recently been arrested on suspicion of pretty serious offenses and her relationship with him had become very strained, adding to extra emotional distress in the days leading up to her death.
- Ella’s boyfriend, Bradley, issued an emotional statement after her death. “Our relationship was perfect. We loved the simple things in life, as long as we were together,” he said. “Ella had never done anything like this to make me worry about her in this way, which is why I think this was never meant to happen.”
- The argument between the couple wasn’t even that serious. Bradley recounted that after Ella had gone out with workmates, he’d gone to pick her up and driven some friends home. While Ella became “concerned about” something Bradley said, there was no real argument. When they got home that night, she wanted to continue discussing the issue while Bradley opted to sleep on the couch and told her to get some sleep. Shortly after 2 a.m. police were called to the residence.
- Ella didn’t die immediately. Bradley tried to help her before parademics arrived, when she was then transferred to a local hospital. However, once there, she continued to go downhill and her family was eventually called to her bedside after being told she would unfortunately die. “Ella was extremely loving, caring and family orientated. She was also driven and hard-working. At 24-years-old, she had already achieved so much both professionally and personally and she had so many plans for her future,” her mother said. “Ella was not depressed or unhappy. As a family, we are 100% sure she did not intend, or want, to hurt herself or die.” Her death was ruled misadventure.