Avocados are delicious. They’re great smashed on toast with some chili flakes, they make an awesome addition to morning smoothies, and they also spruce up an otherwise boring salad. Wouldn’t it be great to have an endless supply of your own? Now you can because Amazon is selling an $11 avocado tree growing kit.
- It’s called the AvoSeedo and it’s kinda genius in its simplicity. It comes with three little plastic boats to hold your avocado seeds as well as little flags to memorialize the occasion. There’s nothing fancy to add to your plant and nothing crazy you have to do in order to make it work. It just does!
- Yes, it will actually grow you an avocado tree. Many of the reviewers have said the old-fashioned method of using toothpicks and hovering the seed over water never worked for them but the AvoSeedo has given them actual avocado trees. Best of all, you don’t need to be a gardening genius for this. Just follow the directions, sit back, and wait to see your tree come to life!
- It does take a bit, so you’ll have to be patient. You’re growing an avocado tree from scratch, after all, and that won’t happen overnight. It may take a month or so for the seed to split, depending on where you live and what time of year you’re starting, and a little longer than that for a root to sprout. However, isn’t that part of the excitement? You’re growing a tree from a tiny (well, relatively tiny) seed!
- Once it’s ready, you can plant this in your back yard. How many of your neighbors have their own avocado tree? Unless you live in certain parts of California, probably not many. With the AvoSeedo, once your sprouts reach 20 centimeters and are starting to grow some leaves, they’re ready to be planted in your garden or yard.
- It’s a great, unique gift idea. If growing your own avo tree isn’t your thing, this is a super fun, quirky, and unique gift to get someone for a birthday or other special occasion, regardless of their age. Kids would love something like this because hello, it’s cool to grow things yourself, and adults will certainly see the novelty as well.
- You’ll still have to buy avocados for a while, but eventually you might not! Your tree likely won’t be bearing fruit anytime soon so you can’t forgo those trips to the supermarket just yet, but eventually, you could have more than you know what to do with! It’s worth a try anyway.