We know that dating can totally suck and a lot of the bad behavior is perpetuated by guys. However, we ladies aren’t totally innocent here—in fact, many of us are guilty of a cruel new dating trend known as “you-turning” and there’s really no excuse for it.
- It’s pretty much what it sounds like. Someone who participates in you-turning says and acts like they really like (or even love!) the person they’re dating, only to quickly change course and totally change their mind. WTF?
- It can be totally devastating to the person on the receiving end. Because you-turning happens out of nowhere, it’s totally unexpected for the other person and can be really hurtful. After all, when you’re having a great time in a relationship and think things are going well only for the other person to dump you without warning, it’s bound to make you feel like crap.
- A lot of people have experienced this before. According to Plenty of Fish, roughly 30% of people have been on the receiving end of you-turning behavior, which is kind of insane. What’s wrong with dating today?
- Women are the guiltiest of all. Participants in the survey were surprisingly forthcoming about their bad behavior, with 39% of women admitting that they’ve you-turned on someone they were dating before. As a contrast, only 33% of men have copped to doing it, though that figure could be a little off since not everyone is willing to admit that they’re such an a-hole.
- I guess it’s better to know sooner rather than later if someone’s not into you. If you’re looking for a serious relationship, the last thing you want to do is waste time with someone who clearly has no intention of staying with you long-term. Still, it kinda sucks that someone’s feelings can change so quickly. It makes it hard to ever get comfortable in a relationship!