You might think that I would be super grateful to have someone interested in me since I’ve been single for so long, but that couldn’t be less true. I’m not going to go out with just anyone and I definitely have some pretty high standards. Here’s the truth about dating me: if you’re not going to treat me well, go away.
- I’ve never accepted crappy treatment. I’ve walked away from enough almost relationships and awful situations to know that I’ll always have the strength to stand up for myself. I’ve never let myself be treated badly in the past, so why would I start now?
- I’m too busy for this. I run my own business. I see my best friends on a regular basis. I value my free time, Netflix nights and barre classes. I’m way too busy and my life is way too full for me to stay with you when you don’t see my worth. Nope, not happening.
- I’ve dealt with this before. I dumped a guy last year because, in his words, he would keep seeing me — but he was also going to ignore me a lot of the time because he wanted to focus on work. Um, sorry buddy, that’s rude as hell and totally ridiculous. I’ve dealt with this kind of bad attitude before and I’m not doing it again.
- I’m in no big rush. Sure, it would be pretty amazing to meet a cool guy tomorrow and fall in love, but I’m okay with waiting. It’s no big deal. I don’t need to settle for you if you’re not mature enough to treat me properly.
- I would hate myself for letting you treat me like crap. If I kept dating you, it wouldn’t work out too well. I would be super embarrassed by you, I would know I should say goodbye and I would hate how lame I was acting. I have zero patience for girls who let guys treat them however they want and refuse to take control of their lives, and I’m not about to become one of them.
- I’ve seen what happens when you don’t look out for yourself. Like a lot of women, I’ve watched best friends get treated like crap… and totally take it. I always shake my head, totally confused. I have no problem telling a jerk to take a hike because I love myself way too much to let someone make me feel terrible on a regular basis.
- I don’t see an upside. If you can’t see how great I am and respect me and treat me well, what would the point of dating you be? I seriously don’t see an upside. I’m an interesting person and I’m going to make some guy an amazing girlfriend. I’m not going to stick around if you can’t see that.
- I’m determined. I may not have a totally ridiculous Dream Boyfriend Wish List, but I do have some idea of the kind of guy I’m looking for — and he’s definitely not you, since you’ve already decided you have no idea how to treat a woman. I’m totally determined to fall in love someday, and thankfully, I know it’ll be with a guy who truly deserves me.