If you’ve just gone through a rough breakup and are feeling like you’re having a harder time than other people you know who’ve had similar experiences, your astrological sign may be to blame. Hard science or no, astrology suggests that some signs have a much harder time dealing with heartbreak than others.
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20) Often, our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness. Pisces have a depth of emotion and empathy that is unmatched in any other sign, and because of this, when their hearts are broken, they’re shattered. Picking up the pieces takes time, and friends and family may not understand why it’s taking so long for the heartbreak to subside. As a water sign, Pisces also has a tendency to swim away from a problem rather than confront it. If you are a Pisces and your heart has just been broken, take all the time you need to recover, but don’t ignore the pain. It will only last longer and hurt even more when you are finally forced to confront it.
- Aries (March 21 – April 19) Aries are the life of the party. They have a youthful spark and playfulness about them regardless of age or circumstance. But their carefree nature can also lead them into situations that they aren’t expecting. Because they lead their lives with such optimism and abandon, any downturn in a relationship can come as a complete shock and leave them ill-equipped to deal with the challenges it presents. They don’t do well with pain or hardship, especially when it forces them to self reflect. They will delay confronting their pain as long as they possibly can.
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20) Taureans hate change. Represented by the bull, they are steady, solid, and loyal, and when things don’t go according to their plans, they are thrown completely off the rails. For a Taurus, love is permanent. They only enter into relationships with the most serious of intentions and any inconsistency in their partner is confusing and deeply painful. After a breakup, Taureans are forced to face a whole new world that they didn’t expect to inhabit, and it may take them awhile to regain their footing. Because they gravitate towards comfort and the status quo, any upheaval will take time to recover from.
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22) Cancers may seem tough on the outside, but their hard exterior hides a caring and sensitive heart that is hard-won but all the more valuable for it. Because it takes Cancers awhile to warm up to someone and trust them with their heart, a disruption of their trust, especially in the form of a breakup, hits them in their most vulnerable place. They don’t give their hearts away easily, and when they do, they go all in. When their hearts are broken, they can feel like their whole world is broken. This pain can cause them to double down on their cold exterior, becoming more distant than ever, even when their hearts are hurting.
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22) Virgos are an earth sign, notable for their steady and calm natures. But beneath their careful deliberation and thoughtfulness, they are kind and loving, and always trying to make the lives of those they love just a little brighter. Their empathy makes them excellent partners. They can see through artifice and know exactly how their partner is feeling at any given moment. But their desire for perfection means that when a relationship ends, they feel as if they’ve failed. This can cause them to hold onto anger longer than other signs, and unless they have a healthy level of self-esteem, self-loathing.
- Libra (September 23 – October 22) Libras are represented by the scale symbol and strive for balance and harmony. They are most comfortable when they’re in secure relationships, and they’ll do anything required to keep things moving at an even keel. Because of this, breakups upend their whole world. They are lost and fearful when their lives are thrown into chaos, and recovering requires them to find self-love and resilience on their own. Because Libras gravitate towards partnerships, they’re uncomfortable being alone. They often seek love in other people after a breakup, trying to fill the empty space. Eventually, they’re forced to confront the difficult truth that they must love themselves first before they can move on.
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21) Like the water they come from, Scorpios run deep. On the outside, they appear headstrong, logical, and single-minded. But look a little deeper and you’ll find that they are governed by their emotions and empathy far more than they let on. Keeping up appearances is very important to them, and they don’t show their gentleness readily. This trait makes their heartbreak particularly difficult because they are determined to put on a brave face and convince the world that they’re okay even when they are falling apart on the inside.