When it comes to dating, a guy’s age doesn’t matter as much as his ability to act like a grown man and handle an adult relationship. Just as there are young guys who have a maturity beyond their years, there are also plenty of grown men that act like kids in the worst ways possible. Here are 10 signs he’s way too immature and just not ready for a relationship — at least not with you.
- He can’t express his feelings. It’s pretty much impossible to be in a relationship with a guy who can’t express himself, because how are you ever supposed to know what he wants or where you stand? He needs to figure out who he is before he can fully invite anyone else in.
- He picks fights over nothing. If he’s trying to fight with you about the ingredients in a box of crackers or last night’s episode of “The Last of Us,” you can’t really expect him to listen to you about the big stuff, either.
- He doesn’t want to commit, but he still wants you. A mature man will be able to express why he doesn’t want to be with you and won’t lead you on. The immature guy is a commitment-phobe who has no idea what he wants, so he resists making decisions about the relationship at all.
- He tries to make you jealous. No immature man would be complete without the jerk quality of wanting to make you jealous. He doesn’t want you to feel too comfortable, so he makes sure that you’re aware of how many other women are after him. He loves that you worry that he could potentially leave at any given moment.
- He gets jealous over the littlest things. At first, it’s sort of cute when a guy gets fired up about your ex-boyfriend, but that gets old pretty quickly when he’s legitimately angry that the guy just liked your photo on Facebook.
- He puts you down. No man of any kind should ever be purposely trying to make you feel bad. Mature relationships mean discussing issues and being accountable for your actions, not listing out your worst characteristics for no reason.
- He breaks plans all the time. He might be pretty good at making plans, he just can’t follow through with them because he starts to feel stuck and like he isn’t in control. He’ll try to show that he is by breaking plans last minute because he has “more important” things to do.
- He doesn’t listen to you. The childish man is self-involved. It doesn’t matter if you’re talking about your sandwich or your mom, the dude should be paying attention. If he doesn’t show interest in your life at all, then he might not be ready to be sharing one.
- He’s overly and irrationally emotional. You thought you had some crabby tendencies, but this guy acts pretty much just like a hungry toddler ready to melt down in completely sporadic moments.
- He’s constantly letting you down. If you have normal expectations and boundaries with people, no one should be letting you down on the regular. If everyone in your life is letting you down, that might have something to do with perspective, but if it’s just him… it’s just him.
- He’s always talking about how excellent he is. Immature guys are always boasting about their own excellence. Does he think he’s smarter, funnier, and better than everyone else? Not only does that mean he’s immature, he’s also naive and ignorant. He hasn’t had enough life experience to teach him humility.
- He can’t keep a job. According to him, no job is good enough, which is complete BS. He changes jobs all the time because he’s immature. The second someone at work challenges him or something doesn’t go his way, he leaves.
- He’s jealous of everyone. He won’t admit it but he’s literally green with envy when it comes to the lives of pretty much everyone around him. Literally everyone. He can’t handle other people’s success, which is why he spends so much time putting people down.
- He lives with his parents. Not everyone has the ideal financial situation, but if he’s over the age of 25 and still living with his parents because he likes eating his mom’s home-cooked meals every night and the fact that he doesn’t have to pay rent, there’s an immaturity problem. He’s a baby and you’re not ready for kids yet.
- His hygiene leaves a bit to be desired. Everyone should’ve learned as a teenager how to have good hygiene. Has he? If he still thinks it’s appropriate to go days without bathing or can’t remember the last time he brushed his teeth, the answer to that question is a big fat NO.
- He’s kind of an a-hole. A joke to him is calling someone “gay” for not watching Game of Thrones. Yikes. Everything about his humor is ignorant and unintelligent. He’s a 20-something-year-old with the mentality of a pre-teen. Next.
- He plays games. We’re too old for childish dating games. Ignoring calls and messages isn’t cute. If he goes out of his way to play games it’s because he’s immature—too immature for a relationship.
- He doesn’t have goals for himself. If he doesn’t have any goals whatsoever, he’s immature and still trying to figure himself out. There’s nothing wrong with being a little lost, but not if you’re looking for someone who has their life together. That is what you’re looking for, right?
- He’s extremely close-minded. According to him, there are only two options: black and white. He doesn’t think gray areas exist. You might find it attractive that he stands for something but he takes it to another level. For him, every problem has one very specific solution, and that’s just not possible.
- He picks fights with strangers. He’s constantly coming for people, which leads to fights and arguments with complete strangers. Going out with him is the worst because you’re always nervous he might say something inappropriate and inevitably get himself into trouble.
- Hs confidence is fake. He acts like he’s the most amazing thing in the world, but it’s all a facade. He’s not confident enough to ask for a promotion at work and he has no idea how to be assertive. He talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk.
- He’s a drama queen. He takes the term “drama queen” to a whole new level. He complains about everything. You have to go to the restaurant he likes, see the movie he wants, and do everything he loves. If you don’t, all he’ll do is whine the entire time.
- His bedtime changes every night. Want to know if someone’s immature? Ask about their bedtime. Is it forever changing? Uh oh. One night he’s out until 2 a.m. and the next, he’s asleep by 7 p.m. A guy who doesn’t have a steady sleep schedule is immature.
- He can’t deal with conflict. He bolts at the sight of trouble. Unlike mature people, he can’t stay and talk things out. The second you have opposing beliefs, he freaks out. Either he says nothing or he becomes defensive. If he can’t deal with conflict, how’s he going to deal with a mature relationship?
- You don’t feel taken care of. Everything is all about him. Instead of focusing on what you want, he focuses on what he wants. You should be with someone who makes you feel safe and protected. He’s too immature to do that.