It’s been another long week, but it’s finally time for the weekend. There’s a lot of awful stuff going on in the world and you’re probably feeling pretty drained, so to help you reset, here are some feel-good stories from the news that will actually restore your faith in humanity and give you all the energy you need to keep getting out of bed every morning to face the day.
- One male Hollywood director is handling his disgust over Harvey Weinstein in a way that only someone who used to work with Weinstein could. Emotionally exhausted by all the unending sexual abuse revelations about Harvey Weinstein? Well, finally one male filmmaker is stepping up to make a difference while simultaneously giving Weinstein an epic f-you. Here’s hoping more follow suit because this may just be the most satisfying and meaningful response you could give.
- Kavita Devi is the first Indian female WWE wrestler. Want to get acquainted with the genuine badass babe who just became the first Indian woman to fight in the WWE? Here’s her inspiring background, and some news on the Jordanian woman who is about to become the first woman from her country to join the WWE as well. Turns the American corporate world could learn a lot from the WWE recruitment team. Who knew?
- Nothing’s as sexy as an STD according to a new ad campaign… sort of. No one plans on getting an STD but life happens and the need for proper care is essential. That’s why a non-profit in Los Angeles has launched a new billboard campaign to encourage people to get tested for STDs as often as possible by mimicking highly recognizable advertising campaigns. Trust me, you need to see this with your own eyes to believe it. You’ll never look at Bernie Sanders the same way again.
- Now you can take the social media cleanse a few steps further…like, all the way into the jungle. If you’ve ever tried to do a social media or internet detox, you’ll know how challenging (and, okay, maybe liberating) it can be. But what if you had to go on a Bear Grylls style odyssey without the use of your phone or even a knowledge of where you’re going ahead of time? This luxury travel company is offering just that, and it only costs $33,000. If you’ve ever wanted to be dropped into the middle of nowhere by helicopter and have to find your way back to civilization while staying in luxury camping accommodation along the way, you’re in luck. The rest of us will just be over here looking at stock images of the rainforest and hugging our smartphones just a little closer.
- Anthony Bourdain regrets some things and becomes your new favorite feminist. Everyone’s favorite hyper-masculine TV chef confessed this week to feelings of regret and anger at himself for helping to perpetuate the male-dominated culture of sexual harassment by simply failing to recognize that his own personality may have helped to glorify the alpha male. Who knew Anthony Bourdain would become the sorely needed male voice taking up the issue head on and holding himself accountable? Here’s hoping more men step forward and follow suit.
- These photos of museum-goers accidentally matching the artwork will be the single most satisfying thing you’ve seen all week. If you have zero energy to read anything at this point in the week (and no one can blame you for that), these incredible photos of people unknowingly matching famous pieces of art as they visit art museums will not only nourish your mind without you having to read a single word, but they will totally satisfy that OCD part of your brain that is probably on the edge of a nervous breakdown at this point. You’re welcome.
- Hurray! A new hipster festival, but this one actually looks kind of amazing. Anyone else really tired of unending weeks of Instagram feeds jammed with nothing but Coachella glitter and Burning Man dust? Aren’t we over that craze yet? And if not, dear God when can we be? Well, a new music and lifestyle festival on an island in Mexico just might be the answer. Gram-worthy locations to die for? Check. Music? Check. Mud baths and jungle yoga? Check. I don’t know about you, but this festival has me sold.
- I have three words for you: Vaginal. Happiness. Manager. Yes, ladies, this person exists. A sex toy shop in Brooklyn (obvs) that specializes in female sex toys has an employee whose official job title is Vaginal Happiness Manager. Just when you thought the world was coming to an end, an honest to goodness angel among men appears to save the day… and, more importantly, our vaginas. And just like that, our faith in humanity has been restored. Go conquer your weekend, with or without sex toys.