If you’re single and looking for love, one of the key things is finding someone with whom you share similar interests. This doesn’t mean you want to date a carbon copy of yourself. However, you do want to be with someone who values the same things in life. After the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have reevaluated what matters in life and have decided to shift their focus to being happier and healthier overall. With this in mind, it’s no surprise that actividating is one of the latest trends gaining traction in the dating world.
What is actividating?
Simply put, actividating is a way for singles who prioritize living an active lifestyle to share that with a potential partner. It means instead of going out to dinner or for drinks, you plan dates that are full of activities that get your bodies moving and reflect your focus on health and well-being. Not only do these dates get your heart pumping, but they allow you to explore the world and get some fresh air with your date. Plus, it’s often cheaper than traditional dates — sometimes even free!
While there’s nothing wrong with more traditional date activities, getting active with someone new is a great way to test chemistry and share in something that means a lot to both of you: staying healthy. It also offers the opportunity to try something new and adventurous together, which could allow you to bond more deeply. It’s a win-win situation!
Why is it becoming so popular?
Given that the COVID-19 pandemic kept many of us indoors for up to 18 months, it’s no surprise that singles are not only excited to start dating again but desperate to get out of the house. Plus, many people have reevaluated what matters to them over the past two years and have attempted to adopt healthier habits. Actividating reflects that change in attitudes and approaches.
“After more than two years being stuck at home, daters want to go out with other singles, and they’re even more interested in exploring the outdoors. We’re seeing health and wellness becoming a top priority for young daters,” says Michael Kaye, Global Head of Communications at OkCupid. “So ditch the bar or coffee shop, and try going for a bike ride, hike, or walk around the park with your match. People find these dates way less stressful because they allow you to dress casually and comfortably without the pressure of getting all dressed up, they’re inexpensive, and you can make the date as long or short as you’d like, depending on if there’s chemistry or not.”
Ideas for active dates to go on
- Go for a hike. If you live nearby a park or hiking trail, why not go for a walk together? Getting some fresh air is great for the lungs and is a low-pressure date choice. Just be sure you’re not heading somewhere too deserted, especially if you don’t know the person you’re going out with very well.
- Do a walking tour of your city. Maybe you’re new to the city you live in or have simply never explored many parts of it. Well, now’s a great time to start. Sometimes playing tourist in your own city can be a lot of fun. You may end up discovering new places or things you never knew were there.
- Try a rock climbing wall. If you and your date are really adventurous, show off your strength on a rock climbing wall. Get your harness on, make sure you’re in comfortable clothes, and race each other to the top. Your date will be impressed at your athletic prowess (and vice versa) and you’ll have a ton of fun in the process.
- Rent bikes and go for a ride. If the weather is gorgeous and you want to see more of the town without being in a car, renting bikes is a great idea. It’s also kind of romantic. Ride together through the park or around your town or city’s streets. Just be sure to wear a helmet and be aware of your surroundings.
- Take an archery course. Embrace your inner Katniss Everdeen by doing an archery course with your date. This is the epitome of an actividating activity It gets both of your heart rates up and is tons of fun. What more could you ask for?
- Head to the roller skating rink. While you may not have roller skated since you were a kid, it’s coming back in style for adults. The nostalgia factor is high here, and you’ll also boost your cardio in the process. You can skate around the rink holding hands and show off some of the tricks you used to do when you were young. Romance will definitely be in the air.
- Take a yoga class together. It’s unconventional, sure, but can be incredibly calming and balancing. Knowing that you both prioritize self-care is a great litmus for long-term compatibility. You want to know the person you’re with is stable and balanced. A yoga class is a good place to start.
- Play laser tag. When it comes to actividating, fun should be high on the list of priorities. Playing laser tag lets you indulge in a friendly competition and is bound to result in some laughs. No matter who wins and loses, you’re going to have fun.
- Try a dance class of some kind. If you don’t mind looking a little silly, why not go to a dance class together? Whether you want to learn salsa, try a waltz, or even try hip hop. Don’t be afraid to give it your best shot.
- Rent paddle boats and take a ride on the lake. This is a top actividating choice. You can go out on a calm lake, chat as you paddle along, and really get to know each other. Plus, you’ll get to build those leg muscles.
- Go kayaking together. Similar to the above, you might consider going kayaking together. Glidie along the water as you learn about each other in a relaxed environment. You can figure out if you get along well without pressure.
- Hit up the basketball court for a one-on-one game. If you’re ultra-competitive, this is a good date activity. Just make sure you don’t get so intent on winning that you let it get the better of you!