An armored truck caused a major traffic jam on a freeway in Carlsbad, California after it spilled tons of cash and motorists stopped to collect the bills, NBC News reports. The incident happened just before 9:15 a.m. on Friday, with the California Highway Patrol receiving 911 calls about cash spread across Interstate 5. However, both the CHP and the FBI are now urging those who took cash to bring it back, lest they face criminal charges.
A lot of drivers returned the money right away. Once officers arrived on the scene, many who had collected wads of cash handed it back to police. Not everyone, though! “Many of the motorists returned the money immediately to the officers; however, there were motorists observed driving from the scene with stolen money,” the CHP and FBI said in a joint press release. “The CHP would like to thank those motorists who have already returned money to their local CHP office and remind the public to do the right thing and return any money they found on the freeway.”
Authorities will find those who stole the cash. Given that there were many videos and photos of the cash-grabbing spree posted online, the faces of drivers as well as their license plate numbers on their cars were captured, so police know exactly who took the money and plan to find them.
Fitness influencer Demi Bagby even caught the incident on film. She just happened to be in the area when it happened and immediately started filming. “This is the most insane thing I’ve ever seen,” she said in a clip uploaded to her two million followers on Instagram. “Someone dropped money all over the freeway.” Her video showed drivers scraping large amounts of cash from the pavement.
Those who took money need to return it within 48 hours. The CHP and FBI urged those who went away with cash to hand it back in within 48 hours (in order to avoid a potential criminal charge.” How many do you think will actually bring it back?
- Your Drunk Self Is Your Truest Self, Science Says
- 17 Life Struggles Of Women Who Are Naturally Loud
- They Might Not Seem Like It, But These 12 Things Are Emotional Abuse
- 12 Reasons You’re Single Even Though You’re A Catch
- I Didn’t Understand Why I Kept Ending Up With Toxic Guys Until I Realized These Important Things
- 14 Little Things That Look Like Love But Are Actually Manipulation
- You Know You’re In An Almost Relationship If You’re Sending Him These Texts
- “Duty Dating” Is A Thing And You Need To Start Doing It ASAP
Share this article now!