She’s your BFF – and that means forever, right? Sadly, forever doesn’t always last that long. Your bestie for the last 10 years might feel it’s time to move on. The worst part is she doesn’t bother telling you that. Instead, you just start noticing subtle and not so subtle signs that she’s dumping you. It’s painful, but the sooner you recognize what’s going on, the sooner you can talk to her and get it over with. The last thing you want is to desperately cling to a friendship that’s already over. There’s nothing you can really do to fix the situation once she decides she’s done – all you can do is prepare yourself to move on.
Here are some signs your best friend is ditching you – for good.
- She’s suddenly busier than ever. She used to always want to hang out, call or text. Now she’s always busy. She claims she has new responsibilities at work or she’s dating this great new guy, but you never meet him. She’s full of excuses, but they get old really quick.
- You catch her lying. Speaking of excuses, you know they’re lies. She claims she doesn’t feel well, but you hear laughter in the background. You ask what’s going on and suddenly there’s a bad connection. She’s lying because she’s too cowardly to tell you it’s over.
- Instagram proves she’s moving on. The woman with the ultra busy life doesn’t seem to mind taking a dozen selfies of herself out with her other friends to post on Instagram. Wait. Didn’t she blow you off that same night? Oh yeah, it must be more lies, but this time you have proof.
- She makes excuses to cut your time short. If you didn’t know better, you’d think she still had a curfew. Instead of hanging out for hours talking about whatever, she has to leave early all the time. Since when does a grown woman need to get to bed at 9 PM on a Saturday night? Unless she’s got an early booty call, she’s just trying to get rid of you.
- She’s far less supportive than she used to be. You could really use a shoulder after your latest breakup, but all you get is a few “yeah”s, “It’s okay”s, “uh huh”s, and possibly even a, “What? I zoned out for a second.” Why the sudden change? She just doesn’t care anymore.
- She tries to get you to dump her. Sometimes your best friend will go out of her way to make your life miserable. She’ll turn into the ultimate bitch, flirt with your boyfriend or disappear for several weeks. The reason? She’s trying to get you to dump her so she doesn’t have to.
- Her interests start to change. Every woman’s interests change over time. When your bestie’s interests drastically change and she’s showing other signs, you might have a problem. It’s a sign she might be more interested in hanging out with other friends than you.
- She’s always talking about her new group of friends. Are the majority of your conversations about her new group of friends? Is she always excited to go out with them, but never has time for you? I hate to tell you, but your BFF is trying to tell you that she prefers her new friends.
- She starts texting like a guy. You send her texts, but she never returns them. If she does, it’s a day later with the classic excuse that the text came in late or her phone was on the fritz. She starts reminding you of your last boyfriend who didn’t seem to understand texting etiquette.
- You’re always the one asking her to hang out. Are you the one making all the effort? Does she ever try to make plans with you? If she really wanted to be your best friend, she’d make some kind of effort. She’d be eager to spend time with you. Stop making all the plans and see what happens. If she doesn’t reach out after a few weeks, it’s a major sign.
- She cancels plans at the last minute. You know, the more signs she gives you, the more she sounds like a bad boyfriend. For instance, you’ve made plans, gotten ready and are even on your way to meet her. Right when you arrive, she texts or calls to cancel. It’ll be some lousy excuse and it’ll happen often.
- She’s calling someone else her bestie. In the middle of talking about her new friends, she slips and calls someone else her bestie. She doesn’t even catch it herself, but you notice. All you want to do is go home and cry while she’s still happily talking about her new best friend.
- Your other friends give you the sad news. Occasionally, another friend will take pity on you. She’ll hate the way your best friend is treating you. She’ll point out all the signs and even give you the proof that it’s over. This friend might even turn out to be your new BFF.
No one wants to get dumped by their best friend. You’ve shared so much together. However, it’s best to just let it go when all the signs are there. You will meet someone new and it’ll be even better than before.