A bride-to-be was left “humiliated” after her fiance demanded she wears any color other than white to their wedding because she “isn’t pure.” The man took to Reddit’s AITA sub to question whether he was in the wrong for going along with his family’s traditional belief that a bride should not be allowed to wear a white wedding gown if she’s not a virgin. Needless to say, it didn’t go over too well.
- The man comes from a “religious household.” As he explained in the thread, the “strong Christian beliefs” he was raised with meant that it’s family tradition that “if the woman getting married isn’t still a virgin they shouldn’t wear a white dress on their wedding day.” If that’s not sexist, outdated BS, I don’t know what is.
- His mother has always been obsessed with his fiance’s dating history. Before her future mother-in-law ever actually met her in person, she wanted to know how her son’s girlfriend had gotten on in the dating world prior to meeting him. “My family knows my soon to be wife wasn’t a virgin when I met her because my mum asked me when I started dating her if she was pure, and I was honest and told her she had boyfriends before she met me,” the man revealed.
- Obviously, his fiancee was extremely upset about the gown. Unsurprisingly, the woman was extremely upset when she learned about his family’s demands, but her fiance tried to talk her down. “My wife was really upset when I asked her if she could wear a colored dress on our wedding day but she agreed, so we’re looking at getting glittery blue dress instead,” he shared.
- However, she soon realized maybe she didn’t want to go along with this crap. The woman is said to be so upset, she doesn’t even want to marry the man anymore. “Now she’s saying she won’t marry me because she’s too humiliated by the whole situation, but I really don’t see how it’s a big deal,” the man wrote. Is it any wonder she doesn’t want to marry the kind of guy who won’t stand up to his family and doesn’t realize how offensive his demands are?
- Commenters were quick to point out what a jerk this guy is. “Making her parade down the aisle in something so ridiculous it’s like you’re trying to pin a giant scarlet letter on her,” one person wrote. “I think if you have such a poor opinion of her and want to cause her public embarrassment you should do her a favor and break up now.” Another added: “This is not a Christian tradition, nor is it a modern tradition. There is no ‘Christian color’ for virginity in marriage or anything else. Biblically, unmarried/virgin women wore multi-colored robes.”
Here’s hoping this woman finds someone much better ASAP.