Puppies love to chew things, but usually, they focus their efforts on toys and even your expensive furniture. However, a bulldog named Harley went to town on his owner’s big toe and saved his life in the process. David Lindsay’s toe was chewed down to the bone while he slept, but the terrible incident ended up being a blessing in disguise.
- David had fallen asleep on the couch without a second thought. He was catching a bit of snooze time when his wife suddenly began screaming for him to wake up. “I was asleep on the couch when my wife walked in and shouted, ‘Dave, the puppy’s chewing your toe!’” Lindsay recalled to SWNS (via Daily Mail).
- Harley didn’t just chew David’s toe — he nearly destroyed it. According to David, “My puppy had near enough chewed my big toe off! It chewed down to the bone and cracked it.” How on earth could anyone sleep through that? Well, the fact that David did was an eye-opener. “Because of all this, I discovered that my foot is completely numb, I can’t feel anything,” he explained.
- David was rushed to a local hospital. The dad of five from Cambridge in the UK was immediately rushed to a local hospital and put on IV antibiotics to ensure the terrible wound didn’t give an infection that could spread to his bone and be potentially fatal.
- During his time in the hospital, doctors made some disturbing discoveries. After undergoing a CT scan, doctors found that in addition to his fractured toe, he also had two blocked arteries. Had they not been caught and treated, David could have had to have his entire leg amputated! Even worse, the clots could have spread to his heart and killed him.
- David was then fitted for stents. This allowed blood flow to return and assured his future safety. However, the close call made David grateful for his pup Harley, who had “done him a favor” by nearly chewing his toe off. “I’ll be keeping the dog,” he said. “I’ll try to keep my toe too, but if not I told the doctor to cut it off and I can take it home for him!”