Celine Dion’s sister Claudette has issued an update on the singer’s health following her diagnosis with stiff person syndrome. In an interview with the French language publication Le Journal de Montreal, Claudette revealed that the 55-year-old “My Heart Will Go On” chanteuse is being cared for in her home by their sister Linda, who had moved in with Celine and family to ensure her needs were met.
Here’s everything we know about Celine’s health at the moment, as well as a bit of background.
- Celine Dion rescheduled her world tour twice before canceling it altogether. In May 2023, Celine announced on Instagram that she had to make the heartbreaking decision to cancel the remaining dates on her world tour due to being diagnosed with stiff person syndrome.
- What is stiff person syndrome? It’s a rare and incurable neurological condition that causes frequent and extremely painful muscle spasms and locking, making mobility all but impossible at times and also challenging Dion’s ability to sing.
- Celine Dion has been severely impacted by her diagnosis. Speaking to fans in a video posted in May, Dion tearfully admitted that she was struggling. “Unfortunately, these spasms affect every aspect of my daily life, sometimes causing difficulties when I walk and not allowing me to use my vocal cords to sing the way I’m used to,” she said.
- Linda Dion is living with Celine and her three children to help care for everyone. As Claudette Dion told Le Journal de Montreal, “[Celine is] listening to the top researchers in the field of this rare disease as much as possible. I honestly think that she mostly needs to rest. She always goes above and beyond; she always tries to be the best and top of her game.”
- Claudette added that she believes taking a break from performing is what Celine needed. After all, she has been recording and performing nonstop since she was only 13 years old, so it was bound to take its toll eventually. “At one point, your heart and your body are trying to tell you something. It’s important to listen to it.”
- Finding an effective treatment has been elusive for Celine Dion so far. Claudette added that Celine still hadn’t been able to “find any medicine that works” but that the entire family still feels that “having hope” is “important.”
- Her fans have been wishing her a speedy recovery. They regularly take to social media to express their well wishes for Celine and their hopes that she’s able to find relief from the painful condition as well as return to her love of singing in the near future.
Geez, this is actually quite sad.
Celine Dion made my childhood. Still recall those afternoons when my dad would play her songs and we would all dance.
I pray she doesn't die.
— King A.Williams (@kgawilliams1) August 4, 2023
Praying for you Celine. We all love you!!!
— Diana C. (@DliteTinkerbell) August 4, 2023
Oh, Celine. This has been such a long and terrible illness for you. I really do hope you are well enough to get back on stage where you love either this or next year. All my heart and best wishes go out to you. Have faith. Nick in 🇬🇧 ❤️
— Nicholas Pulford (@NicholasPulfor1) June 23, 2023
Sending prayers of healing!! Get well soon!!
— Anthony (@Baldwin1970) June 16, 2023
Thoughts and prayers for your complete recovery. 🙏❤️
— JimmynCali (@JimmynCA) May 26, 2023