An angry father has said he’ll no longer allow his parents to babysit his 9-month-old daughter after they “permanently damaged her body.” Taking to the AMA subreddit, user no_wayout_ revealed that he and his fiancee allowed his parents to watch the little girl, called Thalia, but that they’ll no longer be allowed to see her without him and his future wife being present. What did they do that was so bad? They pierced Thalia’s ears without permission.
- OP never wanted his daughter’s ears pierced. While his fiancee’s parents did this to her as a baby, he didn’t think it was fair to do it to his own daughter before she could consent. It was a decision he believed would be respected by his own parents.
- His parents had other ideas. According to OP, they were insistent that Thalia should get her ears pierced. However, despite their son’s refusal, they went and did it anyway. “My parents didn’t shut up about it for a while, saying, ‘She’d look so cute.’ But we told them already no and that’s our answer,” OP wrote. “When they babysat for us once, they got one of my mom’s friends to do it and we were f**ing pissed they went behind our backs.”
- OP and his fiancee cut his parents off. Feeling violated and disrespected, they stopped speaking to Thalia’s paternal grandparents. However, not everyone was on their side. Some people believed that they were making a big deal out of nothing and insisted they couldn’t keep them out of Thalia’s life for something so small.
- Now, the grandparents are on serious probation. According to OP, he and his fiancee decided that the grandparents can never be left alone with Thalia. Other family members have accused the couple of “pushing them over something that’s not a big deal” and “treating them like children.” Even his fiancee’s parents, Thalia’s other grandparents, agree.
- Redditors understood where OP was coming from. Many agreed that he made the right decision and that his parents’ actions showed a larger disrespect. “What’s going to be the next thing they decide they know better on? They’re lucky they’re even allowed to see her tbh,” one person wrote. Another added: “Who mutilates an innocent baby without consent? This is akin to circumcision. They can’t consent, it’s body modification.” A third person claimed the grandparents “permanently damaged their granddaughter’s ears” which could end up killing her.
What do you think?