If you grew up in the ’90s, chances are you watched and loved The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air. Who could forget the iconic Carlton dance? That emotional speech Uncle Phil made to Will about treating him like a son? That time they filmed a Bel Biv Devoe video in the living room with DJ Jazzy Jeff? There were so many good moments on the show, and now we’re going to get more because a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reboot is in the works!
- It’s actually going to be a “dramatic reimagining” of the original. I don’t know what that means, but it seems likely then that the new Fresh Prince of Bel-Air won’t simply have flashed forward 25 years and instead will recreate the original show in a sense so that it’s familiar but still quite new.
- It’s based on Morgan Cooper’s viral YouTube trailer. In case you missed it, the trailer appeared online in 2018 and people went crazy for it. The trailer shows Will getting into a whole lot of trouble on the streets of Philly, culminating in a fight that leads to him being shipped off to Bel-Air. It’s all very much like the TV show but shot as a drama rather than a comedy.
- Yes, Will Smith is involved! He’s coming back to develop the script for the show with Cooper, and according to The Hollywood Reporter, the likes of Netflix, HBO Max, and Peacock are all desperate to win the rights to the show.
- If you think about it, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was quite dramatic. The original series may have been a sitcom with plenty of laughs, but there was a lot of serious stuff happening there. “As funny as the episodes are, there was a whole other layer that you couldn’t do, like, in a one-hour drama you can do eight-episode arcs,” Smith said around the time Cooper’s trailer dropped. “The dramatic versions of these ideas mean that you can use existing storylines but it’s not going to seem like you’re redoing an episode because the storyline’s going to be brand new from the dramatic perspective.”
- This is one reboot I really can’t wait to see. While rehashing old TV shows and movies to make new versions is getting a little old, I feel like this is one that has really good potential and I can’t wait to see it!